magnum large pistol primer in 45 acp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have been doing some research on the google. it seems quite common to use magnum primers in the 45 acp. some say it cleans up the powder residue in ball powders and so on. most say to reduce your medium load by 1/2 grain and work up from there. what do you all think???

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what do you all think???

Pressure signs in straight-walled pistol cartridges are notoriously unreliable.
In "working up" such cartridges, the first sure sign may be a blown case.
Changing primers can cause 5,000 PSI PEAK pressure increases, sometimes with little velocity increase. The amount of pressure increase varies wildly with different powders.

If I had to use Mag primers, I'd use the starting load for a medium powder from a reliable manual and see if it cycled the gun reliably, just for a plinking load.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have been doing some research on the google. it seems quite common to use magnum primers in the 45 acp. some say it cleans up the powder residue in ball powders and so on. most say to reduce your medium load by 1/2 grain and work up from there. what do you all think???

I've used them in 45 ACP loads with Unique to try to get it to burn cleaner. My dad did it before me for 10+ years.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
spiff if you don't mind,what is the load data on your dads load??? i would like to compare it to the loads in some load manuals.

Sorry, forgot about this topic.

Unfortunately, I don't have any of that stuff with me. I want to say we were loading a 200 gr SWC with CCI 350s and 6gr of Unique. I think we also loaded 230 LRNs with 6gr of Unique, and that was pretty stout recoil wise. My usual load when I was using Unique was a CCI 250, 230 LRN, and either 5.0gr or 5.5gr.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Drop your charge .4 and use the darn things. I used them for 20K + round and never had a problem mentioned earlier. Re-used the brass several times and never even had a primer pocket get loose. I am going to start using them in .40 here pretty soon..

Mike

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks fellas. i just got my order of large pistol primers in the other day so now i have plenty. but if i run low again i will not hesitate to use the large pistol magnum primers in their place. i will probably experiment some with them anyway so i will be prepared if i have to use them in the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom