Magnum Research Lite 22wmr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with one? I’ve handled them in the store and they feel very nice. I’m wondering how well they feed and what accuracy is like. Thinking about buying one.
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...ved-semi-automatic-rifle-101-rounds/p/1618492
F4471747-C9ED-4DBF-9735-438C65E25AB6.png

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being 22WMR, I'll bet they will be picky about ammo.

22 WMR is an odd duck is a semi auto. Low power for it's case length.

In my experience either the bolts end up under sprung to allow for all ammo types, but then smack the bejebus out of the back of the reciever, or they are setup for a very specific ammo brand and load and don't work well with anything else.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being 22WMR, I'll bet they will be picky about ammo.

22 WMR is an odd duck is a semi auto. Low power for it's case length.

In my experience either the bolts end up under sprung to allow for all ammo types, but then smack the bejebus out of the back of the reciever, or they are setup for a very specific ammo brand and load and don't work well with anything else.
I've noticed a huge difference in .22WMR ammo loads, and your correct, they typically are very picky in the semiauto guns.
Just for a little history that I'm sure most of you already know, AMT came out with some pistols in .22 mag with 4" barrels. The first series was a bust but they sold them. Very unreliable
They soon discovered the .22 mag round recoil impulse was opening the action way too soon, like milliseconds soon, so they stippled the chamber on the next series to slow it down some which my model has. It runs the second half of the mag just fine but the first half is jam o matic. I bought an aftermarket mag that won't fit, but maybe the spring and follower in the old mag might help?
@Cowcatcher, if your wanting a reliable .22 mag, I'd go with a Henry lever gun. Our Gun Club has steel challenge matches, and once a year, it's lever gun time. Some of those folks can run those levers pretty darned fast and the rifle doesn't care what ammo you feed it.
Can't be letting those dillers get away and cause more damage.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if your wanting a reliable .22 mag, I'd go with a Henry lever gun. Our Gun Club has steel challenge matches, and once a year, it's lever gun time. Some of those folks can run those levers pretty darned fast and the rifle doesn't care what ammo you feed it.
Good info….. I’m looking for 22 mag rifle, going thru the bolt vs lever decision.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good info….. I’m looking for 22 mag rifle, going thru the bolt vs lever decision.
A lot of folks have tried to build a reliable semiauto rifle and pistol in .22mag. Almost all have died.
One exception is the Keltec PMR-30 pistol I have. Once broke in, it's became very reliable. The owners manual says to run dry as possible, but I lubed it up and it's running with different CCI ammo.
Go to Cowboy shooting matches on YouTube and watch how fast some of those folks can run that lever. You might just get your mind made up to go lever.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I have a Marlin 883 bolt aciton and a Marlin 57M Levermatic, both in 22WMR. Both are tube magazines and both have been extremely reliable with any ammo. Although for accuracy, they both perfer CCI Maximag 40gr HP ammo.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got several lever guns and do really enjoy them. I currently have a Marlin 25 bolt 22mag. I want a scoped rifle for this application and I don’t scope lever guns. Maybe I’m weird but it’s just not for me. I really like the idea of semi auto for this application and have heard of semi auto 22 mag issues. This magnum research tries to compensate with some gas relief ports in the barrel just ahead of the chamber. I found a few videos on YouTube but was hoping to find someone here that had experience with this rifle. Honestly, even if nobody pipes up with knowledge of it, I’m probably gonna gamble and buy one. I like the feel of it and the idea of it enough to take the chance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom