Mailing a handgun for repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^Correct. A non-licensed individual cannot mail a pistol thru the USPS. Such a person must ship a pistol via common carrier (such as UPS or FEDEX). Common carriers may have regs of their own, however.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh, thanks for the reminder. Long guns only in USPS. Sucks having a stroke - can't remember **** and then get confused about things, since I just shipped a rifle to Fulton Armory and didn't have an issue. Sorry for the stupid question.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can no longer just walk into UPS and ship a handgun - even with the receiving FFL license in hand. You must have a pre-printed shipping label. This requires that someone have a UPS account to print the label.

Technically, UPS will no longer ship a handgun using a label printed with their sending account number.

I was told this at the UPS center in Tulsa on 6/27/23.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh, thanks for the reminder. Long guns only in USPS. Sucks having a stroke - can't remember **** and then get confused about things, since I just shipped a rifle to Fulton Armory and didn't have an issue. Sorry for the stupid question.

Not a stupid question. I bet lots of other people didn't know, or weren't sure. That's what's great about this forum...wealth of information out there.

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As an FFL, I have received handguns from non-FFL persons via USPS. Usually from a Gunbroker purchase/out of state transfer. My understanding was that anyone can ship a firearm but if it crosses a state line, it can only be received by a FFL in the receiving state. I have also heard that USPS, UPS, and FEDEX rules seem to change depending on which location you try to ship from.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As an FFL, I have received handguns from non-FFL persons via USPS. Usually from a Gunbroker purchase/out of state transfer. My understanding was that anyone can ship a firearm but if it crosses a state line, it can only be received by a FFL in the receiving state. I have also heard that USPS, UPS, and FEDEX rules seem to change depending on which location you try to ship from.
This off the FEDEX website. "Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. Also, you must be an approved firearm shipper with a signed contract on file with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive."

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shippin...g a Federal,shipping any firearms with FedEx.

Latest posts

Top Bottom