Mailing a handgun for repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I sent one to Taurus last July. They didn’t mail me a label and wanted me to send it through an ffl.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only an FFL can mail a handgun via USPS. Us Peons can mail long guns, but not handguns.

If one of us wants to ship a handgun to a gunsmith or to the manufacturer, they'll have to go through UPS. Seems I read we can no longer use FEDEX for handguns.

It's cheaper to simply ship via a FFL.
I couldn't send a rifle by UPS, they refused.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This currently on the S&W website.

Should your Smith & Wesson firearm require service, it should be returned to Smith & Wesson in the blue carrying case or a similarly secure container (Do not ship in a presentation case). It is not necessary to take the gun to a dealer for shipment. However, before shipping your firearm, call or e-mail our Customer Support Dept. for authorization and shipping instructions. A return label will be sent to you for shipping your firearm back to us.

Before shipping your handgun, ensure that the firearm is unloaded and packaged securely. Do NOT ship any ammunition. The package must NOT bear any markings which indicate the identity of the contents. Enclose a letter which includes your full name and address (no P.O. Boxes, please), daytime telephone number, e-mail address, the serial number of the firearm, and details of the problem experienced (stating the brand and type of ammunition used when the problem occurred) or work desired. Record the serial number before shipping, in case you wish to check on the repair status of your firearm.
I sent one back to S&W for work a few months back and that is exactly how it went -- they were specific about not marking the pkg anything about a gun

Latest posts

Top Bottom