Making 223 bullets from 22 rimfire cases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rather than hijack the other thread, I'll start this one. Please be patient with me, I have been gravely ill this past two months, starting with a dead gall bladder and going through two different bowel resections. I am slowly regaining my strength, but for an old guy, I don't bounce back as quickly as I did when I was young. Depending on how I feel, I may or may not check into this daily for a while. I am in the Tuttle/Bridgecreek area and belong to the Tri-City Gun Club. One of my shooting partners works with me on these to make it somewhat easier and we have considered doing a show and tell at one of the TCGC meetings to demonstrate it. We could possibly do that at some other venue if there was enough interest. Again, health issues come first. Blitzfike

Making 223 bullets from fired 22 rimfire cases.

I use the Corbin die set for the grunt work, and their core mold to cast the cores.

I start by washing the fired brass to remove any dirt and grit as well as make any remaining priming compound inert. After the brass has been cleaned, I anneal each piece by putting it on the end of a piece of welding rod and heating it with a torch until the brass changes color.
Once I have a quantity of the cases prepared to this point, I set the first die in the press to remove the rim from the case. (I use a RCBS Rock Chucker for the swaging operations. The dies are all standard 7/8X14tpi and fit standard presses. The swaging punch that moves the brass into the die fits the ram in place of a standard shell holder.) It is very critical that you use a high quality swaging lube for each operation. I have the Corbin lube, but prefer imperial sizing die wax for my use. I place the case down over the punch, and adjust the die so that the actual heavy work is done as the press ram just cams over. That gives you maximum pressure with minimum handle force. The case enters die one and when you extract it, you are left with a hollow tube closed on one end.

The next step is to put die#2 in the press and change the punch to match it. Each jacket formed previously is now ready to be formed to the correct diameter by running it into the second die.

Next, I place a lead core into the formed jacket and hand press the core to the bottom of the jacket. Die three is now used to form the bullet nose and finish the bullet.

I found that just casting cores even though the mold is adjustable isn’t adequate for good accurate bullets, so I machined a die to run each cast core into to make each one exactly the same size by bleeding off excess lead as it is swaged in the die.

This is a much simplified sequence, but it captures the main essence of the process. I spent many hours perfecting the technique and can now get good bullets without much effort. I’ve found that my home made bullets give me better accuracy from the bench in my bolt action Savage 223 than the generic 55 grain fmj stuff I was using to load for the ar-15 family. I can tailor the bullet weight to anywhere from 40 to 70 grains pretty easily just by adjusting the core. Several of the guys here on OSA have experimented with them and they all seem to like them. It is way too labor intensive to try to do it for sale unless you are charging a very large price to the target shooting crowd. If I did that, it wouldn’t be fun anymore.. Blitzfike

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pics? I'd love to see some of your finished products. I've considered this many times, but decided it just wasn't the worth the investment of time and capital it was going to require!

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is way too labor intensive to try to do it for sale unless you are charging a very large price to the target shooting crowd. If I did that, it wouldn’t be fun anymore.. Blitzfike

And they probably wouldn't buy them if they were more expensive than the commercially available stuff, which they probably would be from the sound of the part of your post I have quoted.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't heard of anyone doing this in years. Seems interesting, but labor intensive for relatively cheap bullets.

No if you could make good .30 or 6.5 bullets, that would the schiznit.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You can make 6mm, at least last I checked you could, don't know about any larger than that.

.30 bullets you can buy bulk, no way you could compete with that; just like .224 bullets are cheap.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My opinion is that you need a press with a much larger mechanical advantage than a standard reloading press like a Rock Chucker if doing anything bigger than 6mm.
I am looking at getting an "S" press from Corbin to do jacket making and 30 cal bullets. I have an old C&H swaging press made for swaging bullets, and have dies for
45 cal and 357 for it. It requires a great deal of effort to get usable bullets even in lead with half jackets. I have never tried to swage jacketed bullets with a normal
ogive in it. I don't think I am strong enough or the press either for that matter. I'm still on lifting restrictions after my surgery so I won't be doing any swaging for a
while. 6mm bullets are easy to make from the 22 rimfire jackets, just requires a couple of additional dies to complete them. I would think 6.5 would be do-able as
well. I might look into that, I have a 6.5 swiss that I love to shoot. When I run out of surplus ammo I will be looking for a cheap source of bullets for it. We have been
converting the berdan primed cases to boxer primers for about four months now, using a 3/8" ball bearing to swage the primer pocket in. I go back into the pocket with
a swage to get it to the right diameter. We haven't had any blown primers yet with the project. Again, this is labor intensive, but for odd and obsolete calibers, it works.
Some of the metric brass that uses very large diameter berdan primers won't work with this method. I have machined inserts to use small rifle primers in them, but
that is an absolute last resort. I did that on a couple of 8mm Lebel cases for a friend. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom