Making Compost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone here do it? I’ve read up a little here and there but curious if any of you all do? I have a couple old rubber maid totes I wouldn’t mind using to make some for next spring but curious if it’s worth it.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I save all my grass clipping and keep piling it up but dont add anything else to it, not the best and is slow but better than taking to landfill and paying to dispose of it.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Work there is work to it i just pile it up and when i need some start taking from bottom of pile and keep piling more new on the top, i use to keep a big pile and had a guy come and get all of it each year to put on his garden, but he got old and quit so i just piling it up for my own use.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this in terms of improving my existing soil for next year. Can I just mix in my table scraps, like you would to a compost pile, over the winter and have similar results?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We do it. Between composting and recycling we’ve cut down on the amount of trash we (two adults) put on the curb each week. Most weeks we have a single 13L trash bag filled and it’s usually pretty light.

I don’t bag my lawn clippings either. Also, I have an electric wood chipper that I send most of the tree and woody shrub trimmings through.

https://extension.okstate.edu/programs/solid-waste-management/composting/

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good for the garden.

Grass clippings
Newspaper, shredded
Kitchen scraps, veg trimmings, egg shells, coffee grounds. NO MEAT, GREASE, OIL.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this in terms of improving my existing soil for next year. Can I just mix in my table scraps, like you would to a compost pile, over the winter and have similar results?
Yes mom use to throw everything but the kitchen sink and stove in her garden during the time there wasnt anything planted in a certain area and then till it under the next spring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom