Making me curious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was noticing that quite a few folks are getting out of 6.5 Creedmor. I’m more than a little curious what they are going to and what the motivation is. I had one that I swapped during the recent ammo and component crisis because something else came along and I wasn’t terribly invested in the platform. However, the cartridge remains fascinating for its ballistic profile. The 6.5 and the .224 Valkyrie both stay on my radar because of their shooter friendly manners and exterior ballistics. So what magic rounds have I missed the memo on?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's all about bullet technology and selling ammo/components.
Marketing those calibers equals sales. When one reaches its pinnacle, they move on to the next super round that has a tiny bit more BC and another 50 fps.
At a mile, that BC may make a difference.
For the average shooter it doesn't mean squat when you're shooting at 300 yards which most shooter think is long range.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s kind of why I gave up spending money for a 200 yard range at most gun clubs. I don’t claim to be a super sniper, but 200 ought to be well inside everyone’s wheelhouse. During the American Revolution the Over Mountain boys were said to be able to make consistent head shots at 400 and in. Beyond that they had to hit’em where they were big and that was a basic set of irons on a flinty rifle gun.

I have some buddies that got on the radar for that Coke can rimfire challenge here a few years ago. Now they’re headed to Nuevo Mexico for that King of Two Miles shoot. They kinda push me a little. I’m too dang broke to chase fads, but proof is in the pudding. They’re printing groups at a mile you can cover with your hand and that’s just fascinating. I remember when consistent at a grand was the Holy Grail.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a 6.5 Creedmoor because of all the talk and Savage stated it is the most accurate caliber they build. .308 was the king before.
I figured if I found one in my price range i would jump on the chance to own one.

I got one and began loading for it and found it was quite a bit more finicky than my .308
It would not out group my .308 either and it was much slower.

I have not shot a deer with the 6.5 yet but I hope my bullet choice anchors them where they stand.
I actually regret the purchase as my .243, .308 or 30-06 gets everything done that I need done.

If it is more accurate I have not seen it on paper yet.

Then a good friend ( Moboost) gave me an old but in excellent shape 6.5x55 and I have not even pulled the brass out of the bag to begin loading for it.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I got a 6.5 Creedmoor because of all the talk and Savage stated it is the most accurate caliber they build. .308 was the king before.
I figured if I found one in my price range i would jump on the chance to own one.

I got one and began loading for it and found it was quite a bit more finicky than my .308

I have not shot a deer with the 6.5 yet but I hope my bullet choice anchors them where they stand.
I actually regret the purchase as my .243, .308 or 30-06 gets everything done that I need done.

Then a good friend ( Moboost) gave me an old but in excellent shape 6.5x55 and I have not even pulled the brass out of the bag to begin loading for it.
Andrei GAVE you a Swede? Now that is a good friend. Miss him at the military shoots. He’s an entertaining guy.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Andrei GAVE you a Swede? Now that is a good friend. Miss him at the military shoots. He’s an entertaining guy.
Yes he did and said it competed and did very well in the matches.
129 gr with 4064 I believe.

He is a great guy for sure but focusing on his current great family and child and his business so all that gun stuff went away.

I believe him and his wife both shot matches and I read one post from OKC gun club where they took first and second if I am not mistaken.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 6.5x55, loved that rifle and round.
When I was looking to replace it, the uproar over the 6.5 Creed was full full blown.

Looked around, finally landed on .260 Rem. Couldn't be happier.

6.5x55 was loaded with 120gr bullets.
.260 loves the same.

Creedmoor is 90% marketing hype, same as .270. Never owned either. .30-06 and .260 will do everything and more.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

.30 cal all the way. But im set in my ways

Latest posts

Top Bottom