Man Born in 1846 Talks About the 1860s and Fighting in the Civil War - Restored Audio..sounds like today IMO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s another good clip….

Man Born in 1846 Talks About the Day After President Lincoln Was Shot - Restored Audio​

Julius Franklin Howell (January 17, 1846 - June 19, 1948) joined the Confederate Army when he was 16. After surviving a few battles, Howell eventually found himself in a Union prison camp at Point Lookout, Maryland. It was here where he first heard that President Lincoln was shot the night before. In 1947, at the age of 101, Howell made this recording at the Library of Congress. Audio has been restored for clarity. This video is made for educational purposes for fair use under section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976.

Last edited:
Reaction score
States Rights emphasized, wait for it, wait for it, the right to have slaves.

South Carolina's declaration of secession included:

1st paragraph is a 1 sentence intro.

From 2nd paragraph: “No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up, on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due.”

From 3rd paragraph: "This stipulation was so material to the compact, that without it that compact would not have been made. The greater number of the contracting parties held slaves, and they had previously evinced their estimate of the value of such a stipulation by making it a condition in the Ordinance for the government of the territory ceded by Virginia, which now composes the States north of the Ohio River."

From 4th paragraph: talking about slaves: "The same article of the Constitution stipulates also for rendition by the several States of fugitives from justice from the other States."

From 5th paragraph: "The State of New Jersey, at an early day, passed a law in conformity with her constitutional obligation; but the current of anti-slavery feeling has led her more recently to enact laws which render inoperative the remedies provided by her own law and by the laws of Congress."

From 7th paragraph: "The right of property in slaves was recognized by giving to free persons distinct political rights, by giving them the right to represent, and burthening them with direct taxes for three-fifths of their slaves; by authorizing the importation of slaves for twenty years; and by stipulating for the rendition of fugitives from labor."

From 8th paragraph: " they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery"

From 9th paragraph: speaking out against the President (Lincoln): "because he has declared that that “Government cannot endure permanently half slave, half free,” and that the public mind must rest in the belief that slavery is in the course of ultimate extinction."

10th paragraph finishes the document citing the previous 9 as the reason for secession.

It is easy to tie the seceding states motivations to them through their own documentation. Today we have the choice of accepting that slavery was the driving force of the ACW or dishonoring ourselves by obfuscation of the truth.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Tulsa Area Shooter

Tell me more about the the 19th century, I must admit I couldn’t tell you the current bills and I’d guess you couldn’t either, politicians have been playing their game though-out history, what was the reasons of any current wars?

Did everyone that fought believe that someone had nukes and we had to destroy them?

Reading wasn’t fundamental and news was slow, an average worker could be easily fooled, as the lazy people today that can actually read.

tell us more in your 21st century understanding.

My uncle was a POW in the Korean War, he never talked about it. When I asked right before surgery when he died he said “Nothing good came out of that war” , end of conversation.

Most today never even paid attention to what’s in the constitution or bill of right😳 Kind of like the 10 commandants they can name a few.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If one looks at the actions preceding Virginia's decision to secede, one might conclude that it was more resistance to being forced to fight a war for the north.

If one looks to our own state one might conclude it was the Indians' continuation of fighting the United States government.

If one looks to Western Arkansas/Southwest Missouri one might conclude it was the terrorism conducted by Union forces that created such fierce rebellion.

So, yeah....believe what you want. Screw a bunch of Yankees anyway.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like today being forced out our beliefs to the unelected NWO of the self proclaimed kings and queens. I don’t believe 100% of what anyone says and lord knows I’ve been proven wrong a few times, the ultra ego’s are always right and never confess or repent… Just speaking for me.

What a good way to disrespect a guy that was there…. Sorry 😢

Seems the guy admitted to his understanding at 16, I’m sure you were spot on at that age😲 All I’ve learned is even at my age I don’t know squat 🤣

Last edited:

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you read the CSA constitution, they specifically added slavery to it. Sort of their own bill of rights. That makes the CSA a self described racist country. Yet even today, lots of people online regret that the CSA lost the war. Amazing.

Reaction score
If you read the CSA constitution, they specifically added slavery to it. Sort of their own bill of rights. That makes the CSA a self described racist country. Yet even today, lots of people online regret that the CSA lost the war. Amazing.
Yes! Every now and then, once in a while, a few people on this site don't excuse slavery.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Crazy, isn't it?
It's like if the CSA had won independence then the mob in DC wouldn't be dictating to states what they could and couldn't do. Just think how awful it'd be to still have a group of autonomous states held together by choice, rather than be annexed into the swamp that we all know and love.

Latest posts

Top Bottom