Man catches 300 lb alligator gar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I really want to catch a few decent gar and try it out. I’ve never had any luck though.
I’ve fished with fresh cut bait a lot. Had many gar bites. They’re hard to hook. Also have pulled them up and they fall off the hook. Got in to a school of them one time at Texoma in a 12’ boat. Had four pvc rod holders. Fish on every pole.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve fished with fresh cut bait a lot. Had many gar bites. They’re hard to hook. Also have pulled them up and they fall off the hook. Got in to a school of them one time at Texoma in a 12’ boat. Had four pvc rod holders. Fish on every pole.
I’m gonna figure it out, I was watching some Mexican guy down in Texas on YouTube a while back. He would cast net tilapia and just just catch monsters all night. Most of the guys I see who are successful with gar let them run 100 yards or better to increase the chances of setting the hook deep in their mouth.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I really want to catch a few decent gar and try it out. I’ve never had any luck though.
It's OK when really fresh and hot out of the fryer, but reheated after refrigeration left a lot to be desired. That was from the biggest longnose I ever arrowed, which was 26#.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've ate gar before. Tough to clean. Most in the 2-5lb range. Two ways to clean. One is to use tin snips to cut down the backbone before using a knife to fillet the meat away from the skin in a rolling action, or my fav which is to take a heavy hatchet and cut steaks out using a knife to cut the meat away from the circle of skin,
They only eat live food and are pretty tasty. Just a PITA to clean.

I’m gonna figure it out, I was watching some Mexican guy down in Texas on YouTube a while back. He would cast net tilapia and just just catch monsters all night. Most of the guys I see who are successful with gar let them run 100 yards or better to increase the chances of setting the hook deep in their mouth.
We would cast net Mullet for the bait. Hook under the dorsal fin have a large bobber a few feet above a strong steel leader. When the gar4 took the bait let it run a bit before setting the hook. We fished off our dock on a power company channel that emptied into Clear Lake. Also great when the Red Fish were running.

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being from "Down the Bayou", Gar Bouletts (Boo-Lets) or Gar balls is a way of preparing Gar which is a pretty oily fish. It's ground and mixed with a lot of Herbs and Rice then breaded and deep fried to make it palatable. Not too bad when paired with a good cold Beer. There are any good videos on You Tube showcasing how to clean and cook them. It's not my preferred fish bet I have tasted them and they're not too bad.

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We would cast net Mullet for the bait. Hook under the dorsal fin have a large bobber a few feet above a strong steel leader. When the gar4 took the bait let it run a bit before setting the hook. We fished off our dock on a power company channel that emptied into Clear Lake. Also great when the Red Fish were running.
Good advice RickN. If you intend to fish for Gar with a cast rig, use a large sharp treble hook. Their jaws are all bony and don't hook easily. Most of the folks I fished with down in Morgan City and Thibodeaux area and out in the Atchafalya Basin used a bow and arrow rig.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fished the power plant at Clear Lake many times. As well as Crystal Beach, Rollover Pass, San Luis Pass, Chocolate Bayou, Austin Bayou, Bastrop Bayou, Sergeant Beach, Peach Point, .......

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used to trade them for a BBQ Dinner at Tom’s BBQ just on the west side of I35 on 19th St. The old man would pressure cook em. I never tried to eat one. We used to catch ‘em when noodling and fished for them at Lake Murray quite a bit when kids.

Latest posts

Top Bottom