Manhood Weekend Retreat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taking my son this weekend on a Manhood Retreat. He turned 13 last Friday and we had a get-together with family, friends, pastor from church and church friends, all went around the table in a really neat event. We all had cards with a scripture verse and some words of wisdom and prayer for him, each person had their own topic to share with him and pray for him. Stuff like self-control, discipline, leadership, etc. It was a pretty neat and emotional experience, he was very overwhelmed. Then the pastor laid hands on him and blessed him and prayed over him It was really cool.

Now this weekend I have rented a big house on Grand Lake and a big pontoon (tritoon, actually). We're going take take a group of men including my best friend from grad school who is flying in, nhis grandfather whom we flew in from out of the country specifically for this event, his other grandfather who lives here, my neighbor and a couple of solid close friends who have been great influences in his life and we're going to do an actual ceremony to induct him into Manhood, with a diploma/certificate and all, something we can all sign at the moment and then frame and put on his wall.

The weekend will consist of a lot of the same things, sharing things with him from scripture, wisdom we have gained over decades, promising to be there for him to help guide and support him, etc. And to really solidify for him that he is becoming a man. A progression, if you will. Most societies throughout history have held ceremonial rituals for their young men to celebrate their ascension into Manhood as a warrior, provider, leader, etc. Our society is trying to denigrate manhood and masculinity, leading to too many men who don't understand what it is to truly be a man.

A real man:
Accepts Responsibility
Rejects Passivity
Leads Courageously
Expects A Great Reward

This is all based on Robert Lewis' book "Raising A Modern-Day Knight", which I read a few months ago. It's a pretty neat concept. Well, I didn't really read it, lol, I listened to the audio book.

If anyone is interested, I have the CDs, I'd love to pass it along. We need more real MEN in this society, we need men who will stand up and defend our way of life once we pass on.

I'm open to ideas of things to do this weekend, as well. We'll do some fishing, some grilling and have our ultimate ceremony Saturday night around a fire pit outside, but I'd love to have more suggestions, too.

Thanks for reading, I'm super proud of my boy, and I can't wait for this weekend. Seriously.

:woohoo1:

BTW, he's a bit nervous as several of us have told him the first thing he has to do on Manhood Weekend is start a fire on his own - with nothing but his penis! :tounge2:

He's been puzzling over that one for a few weeks! lol

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Well at least when he gets that fire started, he'll have something to extinguish it with also lol.

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing tR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom