March 30, 1973

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.

I don't know why, but this weekend has been a roller coaster.

I think of those that didn't make it.

In my mind, I'm thinking of those that made it, but are still suffering from the physical, and emotional effects of serving in any of the conflicts this country is/has been engaged in.

I think all Veterans, no matter what conflict/duty they served in have these same thoughts on occasion. Some thing triggers it.

My thanks to all that have served in support of this great country, no matter if it were in conflicts or support of those you served in.

WELCOME HOME TO ALL OF YOU!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis.

I've now copied and pasted all of your first entry into a Word document to add to other Vietnam War data. A lot of that, I had not known, and a special thanks for actually naming the nurses who sacrificed as well.

I'm a U.S. Army veteran that served from January 1966 to October 1969 (early out.) I am NOT a Vietnam veteran as I was part of a group, sort-of military intelligence, that was into top secret stuff. I remember being told after going through a course of study for a "new system" that with the knowledge and training that we had, we would NEVER see duty in a combat area. So, my duty overseas was over 1 1/2 years in Pakistan, in an area now known as the Federally Administered Tribal Area, and at that time was considered a hardship tour, even for the Pakistani Army soldiers. FATA is now a hotbed for Al-qaeda and the Taliban. Pakistan taught me my first lessons about Islam and the evil that it can be.

Since Vietnam, I've never been able to bring myself to watch any of the movies about the Vietnam War as I figure that they aren't portrayed truthfully anyway, so I spend my time looking at photos from the war and reading. I've always had a deep respect for those that actually saw Vietnam, and I constantly watch for clues such as tattoos, patches, and baseball caps indicating that the bearer is a veteran. They then get my thanks.

Thanks to all of you who served "in-country," and may any demons you carry give you some peace, knowing that the Vietnam veterans are finally getting their "due." The United States never lost that war....the news media simply surrendered.

God bless you all as well as all the families of the veterans.

Welcome home.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would shake your hand Dennis if you were in front of me and thank you face to face. My buddy had a birthday party last night for him, his Dad and brother in law. His Dad is a Army combat veteran. I walked up to him and shook his hand and told him welcome home, thank you for your service and happy birthday. He did not know, and I'm suspecting a lot of Vietnam Vets, that 3/30 was welcome home day. I did not know this either till your post. Did anyone hear about it in the news? My Dad said, after being there awhile, these people aren't worth one drop of american blood.
JKW60.jpg

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would shake your hand Dennis if you were in front of me and thank you face to face. My buddy had a birthday party last night for him, his Dad and brother in law. His Dad is a Army combat veteran. I walked up to him and shook his hand and told him welcome home, thank you for your service and happy birthday. He did not know, and I'm suspecting a lot of Vietnam Vets, that 3/30 was welcome home day. I did not know this either till your post. Did anyone hear about it in the news? My Dad said, after being there awhile, these people aren't worth one drop of american blood.
View attachment 28488

I heard a group of young men talking last time I was at the range. They were obviously veterans of our more recent encounters and were echoing much the same sentiment. An older gentlemen who was with them said, and I quote "We aren't there for them. We are there for us." I had to step off the range for a bit. Got something in my eye.

Thank you, Dennis. I was pretty still pretty young in 1973 but in my 20s I was prone to date gentlemen a little older than myself. Several of them were VN vets. Every single one of them carried the scars of what they had seen, what they had been asked to do and what they had had done to them and their buddies. Being the kid I was I didn't know how to help any of them but I look back now and consider myself lucky to have counted every single one of those guys a friend at one time or another. They all taught me something and collectively, over time, made me the woman I am today, for they made me realize just how lucky I've been in my life. Even those of us who've had a rough time of it at times have had it good compared to others.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To everyone on OSA that served in SEA, and to my Dad, Uncle, and both Brothers-in-Law for their collected 6 tours there:

Welcome Home, and thank you ALL for your service!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just a twinkle in my parents' eyes at the fall of Saigon, but I really feel for anybody who was involved in that colossal cluster. To go through all of what you guys did, all for a damn racket, and then get treated as pariahs back home... I can hardly imagine. I'm glad you made it home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom