Marijuana, Give them an inch...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
but isn't that what they did 'in your day'? Make the act between two consenting adults a crime?
Your point is?
It was illegal to drive a horseless carriage in the city of Tonkawa Ok "back in the day" without notifying the Chief of Police 24 hours in advance and there had to be a person with a flag 100 yards in front to warn horsemen that one of the new fangled cars was coming into town.
Laws evolve with society over time. Your attempt to disparage his comments failed......

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing "IN THIS ACT"... the Feds may have a different position on the matter.
The Feds do have a different opinion on the matter--it's right there on the 4473 in black and yellow. (That piece of crap is still yellow, right?) If you use MJ, medical or otherwise, you're a "prohibited person" under Federal law and cannot legally buy a firearm. (Personally, I do not accept the absurdly un-American notion that the Feds can regulate intrastate commerce, a power forbidden them by the Constitution, but my opinion and a quarter won't even buy you a cup of coffee these days.)

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you tax the hell out of it, bubba on the street corner will sell higher strength pot at a cheaper price. We found that out years ago after a trip to Colorado when we saw legal dispensaries with no traffic. Guy waiting on our table said bubba with no taxes is king in Colorado.
The legal trade in pot is from out of state buyers.
We stay in Antonito Co in the summers. 700 residents with three recreational dispensaries as they are just a few miles from the New Mexico border. We drive by them all the time seeing most of the tags being from out of state in the parking lot.
Commiefornika is whining they don't get enough tax money from buyers. Again Bubba on the street corner is undercutting the state stuff.
I've posted links to both of those states in the past a couple of times to back that up.

This is the truth about the CA issues. CA thought they would tax the chit out of MJ and solve all their "revenue" problems. It really is a joke what CA has tried to do to make money off the recreational pot sales. Apparently they only brought in about 1/4 of the revenue they anticipated because of their greed.

Early in the thread, someone said if they want to sit around their house all day and eat Cheetos, smoke pot and play xbox they should be able to. Agreed but you shouldn't be on SNAP, food stamps, or any other govt assistance.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Early in the thread, someone said if they want to sit around their house all day and eat Cheetos, smoke pot and play xbox they should be able to. Agreed but you shouldn't be on SNAP, food stamps, or any other govt assistance.

Funny you should say that because I avidly know quite a few people that use marijuana both medically and recreational and not a single one of them are on any sort of government assistance programs.

Do you think that people that consume alcohol also shouldn't be allowed the benefit of government assistance?

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We keep talking about taxes but only as it pertains to revenue from new sales. I wonder how much money the federal and states spend arresting, charging, prosecuting, defending, and incarcerating people for pot alone.

Edit:
I googled the first article estimates 3.6B / year.

Last edited:

Judi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We keep talking about taxes but only as it pertains to revenue from new sales. I wonder how much money the federal and states spend arresting, charging, prosecuting, defending, and incarcerating people for pot alone.

Edit:
I googled the first article estimates 3.6B / year.

So...3.6 Billion tax dollars to enforce the law.....vs say est. 100 million in new tax money flowing in...

...So...Where is that 3.6 Billion going to be used....since no longer needed for enforcement ? ...Tax Cut...Reduce .gov work force ?

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recreational use of pot-the next thing they'll want to do is make prostitution legal. Then they'll want free beer with all the tax dollars. Guys, this country isn't what it used to be, we no longer have male and female, we have binary, pansexual ( don't know what that is and I'm scared to find out), some circles condone and the last administration encouraged the gay lifestyle etc, etc. Some things just aren't right regardless of liberal opinions. Maybe I'm too old and set in my ways but in my day men were men and women were women and we had standards but now I guess anything goes if it produces tax dollars for politicians to spend. It looks like as a nation we're getting weaker in many ways.
What's wrong with prostitution?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

Well, that's a terribly uncharitable, judgmental and selfish opinion. Who are you to say they shouldn't be allowed to take advantage of government programs just because they make different lifestyle choices than you???

Funny you should say that because I avidly know quite a few people that use marijuana both medically and recreational and not a single one of them are on any sort of government assistance programs.

I know an absolute shiteload of people who smoke weed (either with a card or without) and are on various .gov programs. Like... I've encountered probably thousands. It's not so funny, and it's not a small segment of the population. Not by any stretch.

And yes, I think people who are on the various .gov assistance programs should have some sort of accountability for their lifestyle choices, absolutely. That is a bit of a slippery slope and difficult thing to assess and enforce, but that doesn't mean (to me) that it shouldn't be attempted. My church helps people out all the time - but they/we also have limits and have some expectations. Charity is charity no matter how you slice it, and I don't think it should be without strings. Personally. Of course, it seems my opinion is not in the majority in this country - or at least not in the majority of those who make policy.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your point is?
It was illegal to drive a horseless carriage in the city of Tonkawa Ok "back in the day" without notifying the Chief of Police 24 hours in advance and there had to be a person with a flag 100 yards in front to warn horsemen that one of the new fangled cars was coming into town.
Laws evolve with society over time. Your attempt to disparage his comments failed......

Not sure why you think i'm disparaging his comment, perhaps you struggled to follow the exchanges. Someone else brought up jail, he asked where that notion came from, i responded with a possible answer to his question. Nothing about my statement was factually wrong, was it? And yes, you're totally right that the laws have changed with society (i don't think it was ever in question, though interesting stuff about the flag man). It's just sad it's taken this long for some to realize that maybe we don't need the government telling grown adults what they can and cannot do in their bedroom.

And as it relates to this thread, since you asked what my point is, please see my earlier post. We love to proclaim our love of freedom here, but when the topic turns to matters of marijuana or same sex couples, then things start to break down for some. Sometimes it's putting on the rose-color glasses and opining about how they 'oh i long for the good ol' days'. For others it is straight prohibition (occasionally to 'think of the childrens' even).

Either way, some seem quick for more government interference in the lives of others, yet bristle at the notion that the .gov should somehow take issue with parts of their own lifestyle. But again, I wasn't disparaging anything, even though i do think he is wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom