Market Sell Off...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerstalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
down 13%, lost a butt load yesterday, my consultant gal @ Morgan Stanley sold off a bunch, so it ain't to bad. I hope. check out Garrett Motion inc. she bought me 2200 share @ $5.00 yesterday, already up to around $15.00..

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had mine in conservative for years, cause I just don't know anything about investing and don't watch the market. I guess it's back to my safe space.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I invested $125 in a Robinhood account back in June as an experiment and an educational opportunity, I have never made it back to that $125 investment and my tiny little portfolio is worth a little less than $110 today. So my education has taught me that I don't choose individual stocks very well, LOL!

In all seriousness, it has been nutty watching the market as of late and I hope that you folks that have serious money invested get back to green soon.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since retired, everything went into the safe zone. You make a little but not a lot. BUT, I only lost a few pennies per share in this downturn.
Actually made some on others because people start dumping money into bonds, etc to wait out the time to buy back into the market when its done correcting.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
down 13%, lost a butt load yesterday, my consultant gal @ Morgan Stanley sold off a bunch, so it ain't to bad. I hope. check out Garrett Motion inc. she bought me 2200 share @ $5.00 yesterday, already up to around $15.00..

I looked at GTX and it does not show it was ever at $5.00
https://www.google.com/search?q=GarrettMotion+#NYSE&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

You got a bargain if she some how hit a freak spot in the market.
When I was day trading I would see dips that hit for a mere few seconds and were gone instantly.

If you were using an auto trading platform you could get in it ..but old school calling on the phone to talk to broker to buy you in would not work.

My stuff tanked many years ago like everyone else stuff.
But it came back up I did not sell any of it.
we lost over 50% but it is much higher now than it was before it tanked.
4 years or 8 years from now what will it be then?

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I invested $125 in a Robinhood account back in June as an experiment and an educational opportunity, I have never made it back to that $125 investment and my tiny little portfolio is worth a little less than $110 today. So my education has taught me that I don't choose individual stocks very well, LOL!

In all seriousness, it has been nutty watching the market as of late and I hope that you folks that have serious money invested get back to green soon.
I enjoy picking individual stocks but have learned a few lessons the hard way. I have invested in too many companies without understanding them at all, mainly biotech stuff. I bought into bitcoin on pure emotion/excitement thinking it could go to the moon (lost my @$$ bad on that one), then on top of all that I wouldn't set a stop loss and would refuse to sell from pride or hope or whatever so my losses would drop to the point of no return. I have spent a lot of time researching the basic principles to successful trading and a few things that stand out to me are the importance of entry price, cutting losses short, letting profits run. I have always loved buying and selling (vehicles, guns, ammo, etc...) and trading equity is no different. The more familiar you are with what you are buying the better your odds are for a successful sell.

Lately I have taken Andrew Carnegie's advice to heart: "Put all of your egg in one basket, then watch that basket". I will focus on just a handful of companies that I am familiar with and watch them closely.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Index funds for me all the way. I will gradually move to more conservative funds as I get older, but for now I'm happy dumping my money into an SP500 index fund and rolling with whatever happens over the next 30-40 years. CD rates have been going up pretty nicely lately, so I've moved some of my emergency fund into those types of products lately too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/24/why-an-index-fund-is-warren-buffetts-favorite-way-to-invest.html

"Buffett is a proponent of index funds as a way to boost long-term investments, such as retirement savings. "Consistently buy an S&P 500 low-cost index fund," he told CNBC's On The Money. "I think it's the thing that makes the most sense practically all of the time."

Latest posts

Top Bottom