Marlin 1894 hammer and trigger pull?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I recently purchased a Ranger Point Precision trigger for my 357mag 1894, with the promise that it should drop my trigger pull down to 3.5ish lbs. pre install trigger pull was somewhere around 8lbs if I remember right. After installing, I’m looking at roughly the same pull weight. The slop and everything has been removed, which is nice, but the trigger pull is ridiculously heavy still. I reached out to RPP about this, and the gentleman informed me that my trigger pull is considerably above factory spec. He said from the factory I should be looking at 5ish lbs. said to look at my hammer, and to see what the measurement on my hammer hook is. Said it should be about .025, and that if it was more that I could remove some without worrying about degrading the metal. Problem is, I’m honestly not too sure what the hammer hook is.

help?
EB1E2390-B33B-4378-A968-B11BA61B2754.jpeg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can watch the mechanism in action and see what hooks to what you can polish those surfaces that slid across each other.
1500 and then 2000 grit wet sandpaper.
Wet it with a small amount of spit or oil does not matter.
Clean and retest.
Now if there is a spring that applies tension you can reduce the spring diameter a bit and that will reduce the pressure it creates.

Use that same 1500-2000 paper and sand the spring diameter down NOT the length.
That works on a round coil spring not on a spring with legs like an AR has.

I tweak the legs on my AR to get pull weight down.

The sanding on mating surfaces does very well though.
I have most of my triggers in the 2.5-4.5 lb range and most break clean without creep.

I have had many people shoot my rifle and place their finger on the trigger after they are on target and the gun goes off before they thought it would.

I guess they anticipated creep and harder trigger pull.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not sure what the ‘hook’ is? This is a 336 but I would imagine very similar. Maybe it will help.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I recently purchased a Ranger Point Precision trigger for my 357mag 1894, with the promise that it should drop my trigger pull down to 3.5ish lbs. pre install trigger pull was somewhere around 8lbs if I remember right. After installing, I’m looking at roughly the same pull weight. The slop and everything has been removed, which is nice, but the trigger pull is ridiculously heavy still. I reached out to RPP about this, and the gentleman informed me that my trigger pull is considerably above factory spec. He said from the factory I should be looking at 5ish lbs. said to look at my hammer, and to see what the measurement on my hammer hook is. Said it should be about .025, and that if it was more that I could remove some without worrying about degrading the metal. Problem is, I’m honestly not too sure what the hammer hook is.

help?View attachment 244526
Pretty much the same with mine. I bought the Rangerpoint trigger and the flyweight loading gate. The trigger pull got a little smoother but not lighter. The flyweight loading gate was no improvement at all.

If you look at the far left of the picture you attached, the larger notch on top is the half-cock safety notch. It's an option for field carry to keep a round in the chamber; very safe and fast to go to full-cock and fire if you don't like the crossbolt safety.
The smaller notch on the bottom is the full-cock notch. What I am curious about is exactly what measurement is the .025 the rep at RPP referring to? Depth of the notch? Width of the shelf?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Slap a .025 feeler gauge on the flat spot below the bottom notch. If metal is sticking above gauge that's what he was talking about. More for creep than pull.

Latest posts

Top Bottom