Marlin 39A - 60 year old lever action!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got my hands on a vintage Marlin 39A, a solid, tube-fed, lever action .22. Says it shoots .22 shorts, .22 longs and .22LR ammo. Serial number research puts it made in 1952. Some light pitting on the receiver and barrel as one would expect, and I'd rate the bluing at about 85%, and the wood is need of some refinishing. Dang thing is missing the inner magazine tube. Can't decide to order a tube and keep it (and maybe refinish it?) or just sell/trade the thing off. I have never been much of a lever action kind of guy, but man, this rifle gives a satisfying "thunk" when you work that lever on it. Super easy to break down; twist the knob, whack the end of the barrrel on a padded, solid surface (I just used my noggin) and the barrel pops right off the action. Its way cool to see the machine marks inside the action compared to modern CNC milled firearms of today. The internals/sear/trigger pieces all look like they are as sharp as the day they came off some craftsman's work bench. Any Marlin experts got thoughts to share on this thing? From what I have read, they are as accurate as they can be and I think I could probbably get a tube for 25 -30 bucks maybe?

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
One of the finest .22 rifles made!

Unfortunately I just sold my 1965 model this weekend.

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Well...beggin' yer pardon old fella, I mean OLD PHART, but why did u decide to part with it? And what about that tube? Am I in the ballpark here?

I sold it because I need to keep the lights on and the A/C running!

I sold four of my favorites. Gotta do what ya gotta do!

I don't know about the price for the tube. MarlinOwners.com is a great place for information.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think you could find the tube fairly easily. The 39A is the oldest and longest continuously produced rifle in the world. Why? Because they rock! Find the tube, install it, don't refinish nuthin'. Just take it out and enjoy it.

I have a '56 Mountie version (shorter barrel, straight stock) that goes with me every time I go the range. It's on the bottom in the pic below.

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_ce1aac1e.jpg

See this purdy CZ452FS? I'd get rid of it before parting with my 39A. Yep, sure would.

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_CZ_PICT1466.jpg

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang guys, ya'll are givin' me some pretty solid info; thanks. Sounds like I need to get a tube and take this thing out to shoot it! Like I said, I am not a big lever action guy but who knows? If thing shoots as good as it feels; I'll be a happy camper. I'll do some reesarch on the tube and get back on with a report once I get it up and running.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold it because I need to keep the lights on and the A/C running!

I sold four of my favorites. Gotta do what ya gotta do!

I don't know about the price for the tube. MarlinOwners.com is a great place for information.

And thus I open mouith and insert foot. Sorry Old Phart, shoud have told me to mind own business and STFU.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had my 39a since I was ten years old. That's 35 years. I'll never part with it. It is as accurate as any bolt action .22 that I have shot. Keep it, shoot it, enjoy it

PawPaw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had mine since the mid 70's. Got it used at a gun show. Bought from an old man that had engraved his SSN on it. I was able to get it off and refinish the receiver. It has an E prefix-- 1947 or 48. Hope my grandkids pass it down to theirs and so on.