Maryland man killed by police enforcing new red flag law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
N The concept of keeping mentally ill individuals away from anything that can injure or kill themselves or others is a sound idea.

I don't think it is. I think it's a unicorn fantasy. That girl in Stillwater who plowed her car into the parade; everybody immediately started talking about her mental state. No one asked how she got the car, what kind of car was it, etc.

How would you keep someone away from blunt objects, the favorite tool of killers everywhere?

There will always be ways the homicidally inclined can do the deed.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing gets solved until enough of us (society) get involved, stop allowing the corrupt to be reelected, and work to actually solve these problems. The concept of keeping mentally ill individuals away from anything that can injure or kill themselves or others is a sound idea. We have already passed laws to prohibit felons from obtaining firearms because of the potential misuse. ( after proper due process, etc). And there are instances of abuse in that system, but the overall result is beneficial to society. One of the principles of establishing the Constitution is the idea of "the pursuit of life, ..." Those school children had the right to not have their lives "infringed"

We all feel that the 2A is of primary importance to the Constitution, but we have to take the same stance with the entire Constitution.

That’s the correct sequence. Too many people say “keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill”, which is a complete fantasy. The only way to keep guns and every other implement that can be used to commit harm out of the hands of the mentally ill, is to place them in a secure facility. Anything less is stupid and idiotic.

If you don’t have the legal and ethical basis to commit someone to a facility, then you don’t have the legal and ethical basis to red flag them and take their guns. It really is just that simple.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it is. I think it's a unicorn fantasy. That girl in Stillwater who plowed her car into the parade; everybody immediately started talking about her mental state. No one asked how she got the car, what kind of car was it, etc.

How would you keep someone away from blunt objects, the favorite tool of killers everywhere?

There will always be ways the homicidally inclined can do the deed.
whasamatter4u.jpg

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I support Red Flag laws if done properly, (a hearing for mental competency) this is the wrong way to do it. The problem will just get worse as liberals and well meaning people did away with most mental institutions instead of demanding they be fixed.
There is no way red flag laws can be done right. They are unconstitutional and nothing will change that.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no way red flag laws can be done right. They are unconstitutional and nothing will change that.

Got to disagree. Frankly if someone is judged to be mentally out of control and a danger to others, they have no business being allowed to own guns. Would be nice if we could just lock them away but that is not going to happen until after the mass shooting and more attempts to disarm the rest of us. Until we get our mental health issues, and even just criminal issues solved than Red Flag Laws are the safest bet.

I also find it interesting how many people claim this or that is unconstitutional when it is not spelled out in the Constitution, without ever having attending law school. I will leave it up to the Supreme Court to decide.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The "Red Flag" concept is the only way we will ever be able to stop the large scale shooting events, and many suicide and domestic shootings. However, none of them have been written in a way that will insure due process. And unfortunately we will probably not see one written properly, but that should not stop US from attempting to work with our elected representatives in an effort to accomplish this.

There are SOME PEOPLE that should not be allowed to be around firearms. The difficulty is finding those people.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There will never be a law that will solve the problem of nut-jobs and ne'er-do-wells with guns and what they will do with them. If such a law were to be conceived, it would never be passed. It would take away one of the biggest excuses the left uses to force disarmament of the people.

Nut-jobs and ne'er-do-wells need to be locked up if not executed or killed during the act of their crime. Nothing will ever be 100% effective, but the foregoing will be better than anything else. There will be an added benefit as well: The people will remain armed in defense of freedom from unscrupulous and ambitious government, despots, tyrants, and other criminals.

Enforcing red flag laws will only get people killed before any crime is committed. It has already begun.

Woody

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I agree with most of what you are saying, there is still a problem that needs to be addressed, and not addressing it just means that we are accepting a number of unnecessary deaths, a great many of those will continue to be children, each year.

Laws will change, and we should be active in the development, implementation, and enforcement of those changes. Bumper stickers, tee-shirts, etc. with "Shall not Infringe" will do nothing to get our voices heard.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I agree with most of what you are saying, there is still a problem that needs to be addressed, and not addressing it just means that we are accepting a number of unnecessary deaths, a great many of those will continue to be children, each year.

Laws will change, and we should be active in the development, implementation, and enforcement of those changes. Bumper stickers, tee-shirts, etc. with "Shall not Infringe" will do nothing to get our voices heard.

While what you say is true, 2A bumper stickers and t-shirts will keep our cause in the eyes of the masses.

Woody

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Red flag laws should also prohibit access to vehicles, sharp instruments, and blunt objects.

Guns are NOT the problem. If a person can't be trusted with firearms, they shouldn't be allowed to roam free in the general population. And if we can't lock them up...

GUNS ARE STILL NOT THE PROBLEM!!!

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom