MASSAD AYOOB: IS THE .45 OBSOLETE?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Browning BDA 45 too. I liked the concept but the grip angle was not friendly to me like my Springfield 1911. In other words I couldn't hit crap with the first or second shot like I could with all the shots with the 1911. The BDA was too upright for me. I had to cock my wrist up at an unnatural angle. Great gun for the guy I sold it too. He loved the grip angle. To each their own.
Grip angle is why I can't shoot a glock. It's all in what you shoot and practice with. I've spent so much time with the 1911, that it's just a natural point to me.
Others shoot the glock well for the same reasons.

D.M.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What can I say, my latest .45 auto is a revolver.
625-8 S&W, a performance center model,
I like it, its a fun gun to shoot and carry.
The gun looked virtually unfired when I bought it.
The gun tells me the previous owner had no trigger
control. The rear sight was cranked all the way to the left
That means the trigger was not pulled straight back
by a right handed shooter.
Centered the rear sight and it shoots great.

bambihunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the component shortage ever gets any better, I will pick 10mm back up and handload for it. Still my favorite caliber.

Mine as well. A decent portion of my collection is in that caliber. For a semi-auto, it does everything right. Only negative is the cost of feeding it though as you say, once you start reloading for it, then it isn't much more than a .40 S&W (Short & Weak). I used to shoot a lot and after I racked up a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of 10mm brass, I figured it was time to finally get into reloading. I've got most of my projectiles loaded, but have enough powder and brass to last me a long time.
I laugh at those that say the recoil is too much on a 10mm. My wife can shoot mine all one-handed even when loaded to Norma specs.

Back to the topic... None of the main calibers that have been around for a long time are going anywhere, any time soon. .308, 30-06, 22lr, 9mm, .45 acp, etc.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I consolidated every pistol to 9mm. I honestly see no advantage for .45 and plenty of advantages for 9mm in a CCW or Target pistol.

If its a "power" issue then go to revolver in a Magnum caliber.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many years ago I read a book by Massad Ayoob touting a 12 gauge pump shotgun as the best home defense weapon and a .357 revolver chambered with .38 special +P 125 grain hollow points as the ultimate concealed carry handgun. I guess now he favors the .45? I like a revolver for concealed carry loaded with 125 grain .38+P. Goes bang every time, never jams and no safety to fool with. Each to his own!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many years ago I read a book by Massad Ayoob touting a 12 gauge pump shotgun as the best home defense weapon and a .357 revolver chambered with .38 special +P 125 grain hollow points as the ultimate concealed carry handgun. I guess now he favors the .45? I like a revolver for concealed carry loaded with 125 grain .38+P. Goes bang every time, never jams and no safety to fool with. Each to his own!

Mas has always been a big advocate for the .45ACP cartridge. I remember reading about when he was a kid, how his father's Colt Government model was the very first handgun he ever fired. He was also the driving force behind the New Hampshire police agency he worked for at the time, making the transition from revolver to the Ruger P90 .45ACP as their duty weapon.

I own .45ACP and 9mm both. I enjoy shooting both. They both have their strong and weak points and they will both kill you deader'n hell.

The bottom line is this...you can't cheat physics. Bigger bullets make bigger holes.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mas has always been a big advocate for the .45ACP cartridge. I remember reading about when he was a kid, how his father's Colt Government model was the very first handgun he ever fired. He was also the driving force behind the New Hampshire police agency he worked for at the time, making the transition from revolver to the Ruger P90 .45ACP as their duty weapon.

I own .45ACP and 9mm both. I enjoy shooting both. They both have their strong and weak points and they will both kill you deader'n hell.

The bottom line is this...you can't cheat physics. Bigger bullets make bigger holes.

The book I read by him was written many years ago. I own multiple caliber handguns and when I carry I have a Ruger LCR with38+P and a backup 9mm. Under my bed is a 12 gauge pump shotgun and in the bedside drawer is a 9mm. We have lived in the same house for 35 years and in a very safe rural type neighborhood that has never had any crime issues, but....................one never knows. Shot placement is paramount!

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with an earlier post in this thread, these gun writers (like all writers) have to put something catchy or edgy out there, as "click bait."
I'm not a great hunter myself.
But the late Finn Aagaard (a professional hunter in Africa who later wrote books and articles about hunting all over the world) was quoted as saying that 90 percent of bullet performance is bullet placement.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with an earlier post in this thread, these gun writers (like all writers) have to put something catchy or edgy out there, as "click bait."
I'm not a great hunter myself.
But the late Finn Aagaard (a professional hunter in Africa who later wrote books and articles about hunting all over the world) was quoted as saying that 90 percent of bullet performance is bullet placement.

Walter Bell killed up to 1600 elephants using a 6mm rifle for the most part because he knew bullet placement.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But it's an executive order... :lookaroun

Trump-signs-gun-document.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom