Massage parlor shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually the bill was from a Democrat controlled House but a Republican controlled Senate and Regan had no choice but to sign it. It was another one of those, congress can not agree on a budget so we will lump it all together in an ominous spending bill.

You are correct.

Both the left and right side of the “isle” agreed to the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981 that turned funding of mental health back to the states.

Despite that it was a bipartisan effort, liberal coloring books do like to blame that pesky Reagan fellow for anything dealing with mental health from homelessness to mass shootings.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are correct.

Both the left and right side of the “isle” agreed to the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981 that turned funding of mental health back to the states.

Despite that it was a bipartisan effort, liberal coloring books do like to blame that pesky Reagan fellow for anything dealing with mental health from homelessness to mass shootings.

I know.

"The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981, signed by President Ronald Reagan on August 13, 1981, repealed most of the MHSA." During 1981 Democrats controlled the House and Republicans had just won back the Senate after 25 years of Dimocrat control.

silvius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys seem a little confused about Reagan's policies. Above you claimed Reagan was 'forced to sign it' which is an outright fabrication. His platform was to decrease federal spending (including for mental health). As I previously mentioned but you are conveniently ignoring, there were enough conservative southern democrats to pass Reagan's 'cut the programs' mantra. You are unfamiliar with what his platform was, or do you just have selective amnesia?

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s all give and take with legislation. I wish there was some way to force them to only have one subject per bill, but I’m sure that idea would never get past the first round of laughs .
Because all I saw was half assed info from a partisan site. lol Reagan's goal was to reduce federal spending. Part of this was via decreasing options for citizens regarding mental health. Like Nixon, he paved the way for HMOs to enrich wealthy healthcare companies at the expense of *your* pocketbook. You know, the reason that your healthcare premiums are through the roof now, but were far more reasonable (even given inflation) prior to the 1980s. Or do you find that your healthcare premiums are reasonable?
Health care premiums are though the roof now because of the disaster called obamcare.
My wife has to pay over $1000 per month for her $5000 deductible "insurance" Splain to me how that improves the health care industry when the insurance industry backed it?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys seem a little confused about Reagan's policies. Above you claimed Reagan was 'forced to sign it' which is an outright fabrication. His platform was to decrease federal spending (including for mental health). As I previously mentioned but you are conveniently ignoring, there were enough conservative southern democrats to pass Reagan's 'cut the programs' mantra. You are unfamiliar with what his platform was, or do you just have selective amnesia?
You seem to know it. Please enlighten us.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how much of mental trauma and issues are stemmed from excessive drug use? Not to say it's all from drug use, my sister has been nuts since birth,, but... A few years ago, a friend had a full on melt down. After years of opiate pill and alcohol abuse, he had a wild crash after a breakup with his junkie girlfriend. He was hearing voices in his head, dark thoughts, deep depression, fits of unrelenting and uncontrollable rage that parkoured to sobbing in an instant. We ended up calling the cops, he took a swing, they tossed him in a cell and we refused to bail him. They had him evaluated, the psych was talking schizophrenia and all sorts of stuff. He sobered up, caught mandatory counseling and found a 12 step program. Weeks in, no voices or dark thoughts. Years later, an otherwise "normal" dude.

I know it's not a popular opinion in most conservative crowds, but I'd be curious what reallocating some or most of the war on drug monies to treatment and resource officers or counseling staffs might do for the homeless problem. I mean, we've spent trillions and all we have to show for it is a budding private prison industry.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how much of mental trauma and issues are stemmed from excessive drug use? Not to say it's all from drug use, my sister has been nuts since birth,, but... A few years ago, a friend had a full on melt down. After years of opiate pill and alcohol abuse, he had a wild crash after a breakup with his junkie girlfriend. He was hearing voices in his head, dark thoughts, deep depression, fits of unrelenting and uncontrollable rage that parkoured to sobbing in an instant. We ended up calling the cops, he took a swing, they tossed him in a cell and we refused to bail him. They had him evaluated, the psych was talking schizophrenia and all sorts of stuff. He sobered up, caught mandatory counseling and found a 12 step program. Weeks in, no voices or dark thoughts. Years later, an otherwise "normal" dude.

I know it's not a popular opinion in most conservative crowds, but I'd be curious what reallocating some or most of the war on drug monies to treatment and resource officers or counseling staffs might do for the homeless problem. I mean, we've spent trillions and all we have to show for it is a budding private prison industry.
This country has already spent billions on drug related treatments, confiscation, law enforcement, and who knows what ever. It depends on what political party is in office that determines how much.
Biden(actually the people controlling him) doesn't care how many drugs are coming over the border now. He is looking for numbers that can be pardoned.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This country has already spent billions on drug related treatments, confiscation, law enforcement, and who knows what ever. It depends on what political party is in office that determines how much.
Biden(actually the people controlling him) doesn't care how many drugs are coming over the border now. He is looking for numbers that can be pardoned.

What I mean is, the $9.2million we spend each day incarcerating non-violent drug offenders might be better spent to develop a working rehabilitation process. Don't get me wrong, I know addicts dont clean up until they're ready to, but offering a better alternative than a life down a dead end rap sheet would probably have a better result and end up costing less as we wouldn't have to subsidize such a high prison population.

Might even be able to convince a church or two to hop on board with an outreach to these 'undesirables' and keep that mission money stateside.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I mean is, the $9.2million we spend each day incarcerating non-violent drug offenders might be better spent to develop a working rehabilitation process. Don't get me wrong, I know addicts dont clean up until they're ready to, but offering a better alternative than a life down a dead end rap sheet would probably have a better result and end up costing less as we wouldn't have to subsidize such a high prison population.

Might even be able to convince a church or two to hop on board with an outreach to these 'undesirables' and keep that mission money stateside.

Plenty of churches have robust and ongoing outreach programs right now. Yet the call is for further restrictions on churches and removal of tax exempt status.

But when we as a society subsidize bad behavior without significant consequence, there is little incentive to 'straighten up and fly right'.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s all give and take with legislation. I wish there was some way to force them to only have one subject per bill, but I’m sure that idea would never get past the first round of laughs .

Agree. And they should all be named and numbered for the reps introducing them, instead of the silly marketing versions. Are you for the Healthy Baby Bill or do you not in fact care about healthy babies?? Then to find out most of the money is spent on field mouse mating habits or something equally important.

Latest posts

Top Bottom