Massive smoke when I floored the car...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had to take a car I don't normally drive for an estimate and when I pulled out of the neighborhood to merge into traffic, I got on it and it began hesitating real bad and then a cloud of smoke half the size of a football field was behind me. The person who drives this drives it like a granny so I doubt they ever punch the gas like I did.

I was immediately worried the rings were shot, but there has been no smoke for her under normal driving and after that happened, I drove a few miles and hit it again and no smoke or hesitation. I chalked it up to it just needed to be floored to be "cleaned out"? I am sure the hesitation was misfires due to massive gunk & carbon being burned off but again, I was worried it was the rings & oil burning, however, if it never smokes otherwise, then I would have thought the rings would be okay?

Can any of you gear heads confirm that everything is okay? It runs fine, has synthetic oil that is clean and changed regularly, 80k, 4-cyl engine.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there's no knocking, tapping or other bad noises coming from it, and it seems to be running fine, I'd say you just blew out some deposits. While engines that never get pushed sometimes break when you do push them, most just cough up a wad of gunk and breathe a bit easier for a while.

When I was in my late teens, my mom had a manual trans VW Rabbit. She only ever drove in town, always drove slow and probably never felt the pedal against the mat. To save gas one time, a buddy and I borrowed it to go float the Illinois river. I was hooning it down Hwy 10 when a comically large cloud of black smoke erupted from the tailpipe.

I thought I'd just cratered her engine and shut it off immediately, then coasted to a safe stopping place. No oil under the car and the water temp was fine. We pulled the coil wire and cranked it, no bad noises. Plugged it back in and took off again. We immediately noticed improved throttle response. A few weeks later my mom asked what we'd done to the car because it felt "peppier" and her gas mileage had gone up noticeably.

All's well that ends well! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom