Massive smoke when I floored the car...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steam doesn't look like smoke (at least not to me), and it's not usually a one-time thing either.

YMMV. :drunk2:
If coolant is seeping into the combustion chamber it's going to be a white/steam looking smoke IIRC. If that's the case it usually shows itself on engine startup rather than being continuous or in the middle of driving. That also usually happens after the car has been sitting for a bit. I might have started to see a tiny puff in this style which has been putting me on engine-watch LOL

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will 2nd the suggestion of a little quality highway time. Cars that have only been driven city seem to get buildup and a little time at 75 or so can really clean them out.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If coolant is seeping into the combustion chamber it's going to be a white/steam looking smoke IIRC. If that's the case it usually shows itself on engine startup rather than being continuous or in the middle of driving. That also usually happens after the car has been sitting for a bit. I might have started to see a tiny puff in this style which has been putting me on engine-watch LOL
Again, it looks different from smoke to me. But I worked on a lotta vehicles for a living.

The volume mentioned by the OP also speaks volumes... :D
:drunk2:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Black smoke= unburned gas= fuel problems
White smoke= water steam= head gasket or water in oil or combustion chamber
Blue smole = oil = rings, valve stem seals ect.

other smoke with flames not from tailpipe = fire- run quick and get fire extinguisher lol

Nah…..let it go and call the insurance company.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's been a while since it's been driven, it could be that oil has seeped past the valve seals.

It is driven daily, but by a timid female who never floors it or gets on the hwy.

Color of the smoke matters here too...

Looked white in the rear view, but I think it was definitely carbon/oil based smoke.

Very true. Trans fluid smoke is much whiter than motor oil, which has more of a blue tint.
:drunk2:

Never heard of trans fluid burning in the motor?

Dad taught me at a young age how bad city driving is on a car. He used to say get it on the highway and "blow cobwebs out". Also change the oil and filter.

Car still fine so I guess it was cobwebs, but it did have a recall for piston slap that never got bad enough learned about it...we had already put 40k on the car before I learned of that recall and were a few hundred miles shy of the cutoff so I opted not to mess with it since the car ran fine. It did have a little noise when cold started, but nothing like some of the videos I saw of people who had to replace their motors under that recall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom