Masterbuilt smoker-repair or replace?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 40 inch gas smokehouse. The chip disk bowl is about shot, then on closer inspection, the bottom is rusting out. I really like this thing and am considering fabbing up a new bottom and flame ring with thicker metal. Some of the parts are available but are quickly become out of date/stock. Has anyone done something like this with the same or similar smoker?

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good question!! I love to smoke and grill as well as you do, so here are some sites. Join up and ask, these guys and gals have probably run into the same problem.....so I'd ask them, they're kind of experts in this area.

Hope this helps.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/

Scroll down and join the discussion, meathead and his crew know lots of stuff.
http://amazingribs.com/meathead/meet_meathead.html

Thought I had more sites for you but they're specific to pellet smokers and grills....LOVE my Yoder pellet grill.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would just see if I could repair it. The same thing will just happen again. I have a 20 year old Oklahoma Joes smoker that I paint a few times a year. I like to smoke with real wood and heat from real wood.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually don't give up on something if it's fixable, however "fix't" is a relative term.....:lmfao:

Case in point..

i.imgur.com_pvnka84.jpg

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are interested in going electric I would suggest one of these.

http://www.smokin-it.com/category-s/5.htm

A lot of BBQ "purists" will scoff at electric but these things are awesome. They are build like a Cook Shack but half the price. I have the Model 3 and love it. They use very little wood and it truly is a "set it and forget it" way to smoke.

They also have a forum with a lot of great information.

http://www.smokinitforums.com/

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i visit smokingmeats every now and then. usually for the modification tips and a few recipes. i'll check over there and see what they say

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with what has been posted here. Smokingmeatforums.com is the Bible and the whole Encyclopedia of smoking meats and more combined in one place. If anyone can help, they will be there. Great people there, and NO back biting BS like we have here.

I also have an electric Smoke-it #2 and rarely fire up the wood smoker and tend it for 20 hours any more. Just too much trouble for the sometimes 2% difference I think I might be able to detect, may be. Yep, set the Smoke-it electric and forget it till the temp beeper goes off. Stupid easy.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the owner of smokingmeatforums (Jeff) is from the Tulsa area. I get a lot of ideas and info from there as well. If you really like the smoker, I'd say fix it. It will strengthen your bond with it.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smoked a pork butt in my MES 40 yesterday. Put it in at midnight Saturday night and went to bed. 16 hours and done just in time to rest an hour before gametime! I do shorter smokes in my OK Joe's... ribs, etc...

I'd fix it if you can but if you have extra cash laying around there is a lot of new-smoker-day fun to be had out there these days!

If you are on Facebook the "Smoking Meat Low and Slow" group is super active. Lot of guys in there modifying and building smokers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom