May buy grow-facility land/home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been an out-of-state OK land owner for about 6 months. My property is roughly 170 acres to the west of Checotah. Decades ago, I wager, roughly 10 acres was sold separately and that bit had a small 1940s era home and a few outbuildings. About 4 years ago, a nice lady from a southeastern state, bought the property and helped one of her children establish a medical marijuana growing facility on it. Long story short the child can’t turn a profit/handle the place by themselves and mom is ready to pull the plug on them. They have been great neighbors and I trust them to not break into my barn, adjacent to their back yard, and to turn in trespassers, etc. She’s trying to market it to others (presumably small local players) in the business, and said she planned on being considerate who it was sold to. If selling the business does not work, I’m really interested in buying the home/land to prevent getting “bad” neighbors. But who knows, the next operator could be just as nice and continue the “free” security service for me. But, I also worry about how bad a new neighbor could be. If I buy the place and only stay there three weeks a year, or so, there will be very few eyes in this really rural area. Another aspect is that my “hunting ranch” has a flowage easement, so I can’t build a barndominium, or other habitable structure. If I could obtain this land it would increase the marketability of the combined property if I ever get tired of the drive from AZ. I’m enlisting the help of my prior agent from Midwest Land Group for advice/help, but wonder if anybody on here has faced a similar situation. Presently, I think I’ll offer a fair cash price and see what happens.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Odds are good it'll get bought up by Chinese slave labor pot farmers, even with the laws they recently passed to make this less common.

I have nothing against MMJ or MJ, but man OK really screwed up when they basically unleased the flood gates on the grow ops. I've talked to OK based grow op owners who are furious about how it was done as well.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion, the fact you can’t build on your current place makes buying the adjacent property a no brainer. Not to be a smart@ss, but I don’t even see why it would need to be up for discussion. :anyone:
I’ll probably really try to buy it. Don’t think I’ll ever build there, but having the option (for me or a subsequent landowner would be nice). Just parking an RV or renting an Airbnb (like right now) would probably always be cheaper than maintenance and insurance on a place.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Odds are good it'll get bought up by Chinese slave labor pot farmers, even with the laws they recently passed to make this less common.

I have nothing against MMJ or MJ, but man OK really screwed up when they basically unleased the flood gates on the grow ops. I've talked to OK based grow op owners who are furious about how it was done as well.
I’m hoping 10 acres is not enough to entice the Chinese farmers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom