maybe anal .0005"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I load for longer range shooting I do all my brass prep then measure neck ID before loading.

My R-P 30-06 cases group very well, sub MOA to 500 yards (mossberg 100atr thin barrel)

But I get anal when measuring neck I.D.
It needs to be exactly .306" I.D. not .0005" from that.

I will post pictures. I also turn the case lightly with my fingers when measuring I.D. to see if the neck inside is out of round. I can watch my needle move on the calipers.

OK some that did not make the cut for past 100 yard shooting.

case id 002.jpg

case id 005.jpg

And one that did make the cut. Happy Holidays.
case id 004.jpg

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need a better tool to measure ID on your necks. Your tool has a flat surface to measure from when it should be round. Also shooting long range in general I see no benefit. I used to get anal about reloading, but not anymore.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also took all this measuring a few steps farther a couple years ago.
I checked bullet seating pressures and bullet pull pressures with a gauge.. I found .0005" does make a difference.
Yes i should possibly use a small hole gauge then measure that.
But I get repeatable and consistent results with this 25 year old Fowler dial indicator and it will show me things a small hole gauge can't.

The pressure gauge used in seating bullets trumps all of them though in my mind... For max anal anyway :)

this one case had .0005' different ID after pulling bullets.
This could be the flier. When i know the gun shoots tight groups i then do pay attention to the tiniest measurements
Read here for more .
https://www.okshooters.com/showthre...8-ammo-Acuracy-OCW&highlight=refurbished+ammo

Last edited:

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm how to phrase this....... how can you tell if your .0005 is the reason for a slightly "off" grouping? I'm not a long range shooter but I can imagine that as humans there is no way we can squeeze the trigger in EXACTLY the same way, time after time....or that your breathing pattern hits at the perfect moment each time....or that atmospheric conditions stay the same etc etc. Of course it goes without saying that if you can make all components of your "shot" as perfect as you can, results are easier to reproduce and quantify.
If you are a perfectionist on reloading, I am applauding you on your persnickityness. I am not to that point. ...yet!

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the quality that I've seen on any Remington case .0005 is an accomplishment.

Keep in mind id is important but so is proper annealing, neck wall thickness, cleanliness of the neck, etc.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So true distandfoe after alll of the other requirements are met then is the time for persnickityness and culling.

I suppose I have a calibrated arm i can feel the difference in seating pressures,, and when a gauge is incorporated into the mix to measure seating pressures things get interesting.

I have done many tests on cases with seating and pull pressures. here is an interesting one.

https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?208795-Bullet-pull-test-3x-fired-vs-45x-fired

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you ever checked to see if seating pressure is made more consistent by neck turning? Checking seating pressure is the next step I want to do. I just need to scrounge a strain gauge to adhere to my press...

Latest posts

Top Bottom