Maybe Bad Primers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the OP means Failure to FIRE when he says FTF, rather than Failure to Feed. At least, that's the way I read it.

"...had two FTFs with struck primers..."

That tells me they were already chambered and the primer was struck, but the round did not fire.

Yeah, its a semantics thing. I didn't pick up the nuance.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
out of the roughly 15,000 rounds I reloaded last year, I failed to have a single primer problem. I used everything from CCI to Selier and Bellot primers. I Even some of the cheap Rusky made stuff, though I didn't like 'em.

not a single primer problem.

And this was out of our cowboy competition guns that have all been heavily modified for competition to have the lightest springs possible, the shortest stroke possible (though the term is used differently that how it's been reference here so far) and shooting the lightest load we can reliably compete with.

If anyone was in a position to get light strikes and primer failures it's my family as we compete

Again, not a single failed primer. I'm leaning heavily towards the gun or the reloading process being he failure point, not the primers.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took factory ammo apart that did not fire but had a primer dent.There was no anvil.
I wondered what the yellow chalk was that was mixed in with the powder..Priming compound it was.

My 45 needs taken apart and cleaned all the way as I got 3 light primer strikes the other day.
I wanted to see how many rounds I could shoot without cleaning.(bullseye and cast lead). Lot's and lots. More than you can carry or would want to carry anyway.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. I did not mark the failure to fires. Did not get pictures. If I get more, will mark them. Carry a sharpie to mark the targets but never thought about ammo.

My pistol is double action/single action. I do not have to eject it to have a hammer strike second time. All but one fired on the second or possibly third primer strike. The one was many many times and then held on with it downrange.

These were not pop and no kick. I have had primer ignites with no powder charge and these were not that.

I had considered but not too heavily the springs being the cause of FTF. I will run another small batch with heavier powder and try a box of good factory ammo. If the issue continues will send the guns back.

Hers might get the trigger job which includes a new spring.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And yes the FTF were failure to fire. Forgot there was two failure to f.

I will definitely work heavier loads and see if that remedies the ejection problem and have a new box of primers. Looked this morning and I had finished off the other box of a thousand.

If it is a problem with my reloading, will try to alleviate that in the process as well. Separate the headstamps and do 10-20 of each. Will clean the primer pockets, make sure they are all same size pockets, seated and then test them out.

Looks like I have a little homework.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All but one fired on the second or possibly third primer strike

that really sounds like high primers left from loading.
Suggest cleaning and adjusting press, and running a finger over the primer on your next loads to double check.
If you prime some crimped cases without removing the crimp, you will surely get problems like this.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no idea how many primers I may have gone through in 40+ years of handloading, but I also do not remember ever having a bad primer in a large variety of brands. Not to point a finger, but how do you store your primers? How old were they? Any chance they might have absorbed some moisture?

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another problem with primer failure is handling them with your fingers. Just a little oil from your skin will deactivate a primer. I use a primer flipper tray to load the primer tubes, or I dump the primers directly in a hand priming tool again without touching the primers. That may not be your issue, but it is something to watch out for. Keep us posted on your findings.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Primers are between one and two years old on that box I believe. The other box is less than three months. Stored in ammo can.
Powder, this can is probably six months to a year.

Do not touch the primers. Use a primer flip tray and primer pick up tube.

On advice from ya'll, did some inspecting of the press while cleaning. Apparently, when I swapped from .223 to 9mm, I did not get the shell plate quite tight enough. There was some "springiness" between stations two and three (dillon website) so adjusted that down, changed powder charge to a 4.6 grain charge, loaded 10 rounds.

The pressure to seat felt consistent. The primers appear seated below flush. Pictures below.

Thank you all for your advice, and after I get a few more loaded to test out soon, will let ya'll know how it goes. (page timed out on me, had a much longer reply that touched on a lot of the other posts as well.....)

20151006_224732.jpg

20151006_224804.jpg

20151006_224713.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom