Maybe Bad Primers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could be a weak spring, or oil or dirt in the firing pin cavity on the slide. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner you might stick the slide in it with some solvent and give it a few minutes of action to see if that frees up any crud in there.

This^^^^^ If it has a hard strike on all but one or two, you need to see if you have some junk floating around the firing pin. Springs are consistent for the most part. If you have a bad one, it will be consistently bad. Lube could be an issue.

I see some posts in other forums that say the primer may be too deep. I guess that could happen if your using some hand primer press and got the wrong pin in, but my progressive press cannot press one too deep. Its always flush the the base of the brass.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be a weak spring, or oil or dirt in the firing pin cavity on the slide. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner you might stick the slide in it with some solvent and give it a few minutes of action to see if that frees up any crud in there.

So the ultrasonic cleaner may be a Christmas present for myself, just can't bring myself to spend that on myself this late in the year.

I looked on Google, YouTube and a few other forums and came across some do it yourself high speed supersonic cleaners. (not true ultrasonic because not near that high in frequency.) So I got an idea. I took a large metal coffee can, and a small plastic basket and set it inside. Took my pistol and her slides and put them in the basket. Made a light solution with simple green and hot hot water. Put the lid on on the can and set my tumbler on the top, threw in some media and brass, flipped the switch and abruptly left the garage. The sound was deafening with it on the concrete.

Came back in 15 minutesnutes and removed the slides, dried with some compressed sensor cleaner (really dry really clean air) from work, oiled well, used more sensor cleaner in the slide cavitiess to where it was just very light lube, and lubed the rest to specs.

Had not seen them that clean in a long time. It may not be ultrasonic but dang the grime and filth came out of places I can't get normally.

Now reloading some ammo and going to test them both out with reloads.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may attach a vibrating palm sander to the coffee can and get almost the same results.
But that is moot if it is clean does not matter how it gets there.
And sounds like you got there and cleaned cases at the same time.

Now stick cases in the solution and see what you get :)

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just leaving range and happy to announce.........100 out of 100. 50 out of both with no issues. No failure to fire or eject.

Yeah Swamp, figured if I am running the tumbler might as well have cases too. Think my sander is at the fiance's place. Put some cases in the can before I left for the range. Almost bought a hornady ultrasonic on Amazon while waiting on the pseudo to do it's work. Still debating but for now holding off.

Thank you to everyone for the patience and advice.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom