Mayfield not starting vs. WV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ut-oh.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/20/oklahoma-baker-mayfield-not-starting-west-virginia

Baker Mayfield Won't Start vs. West Virginia After Kansas Antics

By Scooby Axson
November 20, 2017
Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield won't start Saturday's home game against West Virginia, head coach Lincoln Riley said.

Riley added that Mayfield won't be a captain but will see playing time against the Mountaineers. Backup Kyler Murray is expected to start the game.

The Sooners have already clinched a berth in the Big 12 title game and are ranked No. 4 in the latest College Football Playoff Top 25.

Mayfield's actions during Oklahoma's 41–3 victory over Kansas drew the ire of many people, including Riley, who said his behavior was "unacceptable."

Mayfield was seen on the sidelines grabbing his crotch and screaming profanities at the Kansas players after a touchdown pass in the third quarter.

Before the game, Kansas players refused to shake hands at the coin toss and were also flagged for a late hit on Mayfield in the second quarter.

Mayfield apologized after the game.

"I got caught up in a competitive game, a chippy game, but what I did today, tonight, was unacceptable," Mayfield said. "I am a competitive player but what I did was unacceptable so I apologize. It's disrespectful. It's not the example I want to set. It's not the legacy I want to leave at OU. I truly do apologize."

Mayfield, who was arrested this offseason after a run-in with Fayetteville, Arkansas police and charged with public intoxication, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and fleeing, also apologized for planting a flag at midfield at Ohio Stadium after the Sooners' 31–16 victory over Ohio State in September.

The two-time Heisman finalist is the odds–on favorite to win the trophy this season.

Mayfield is completing 71% percent of his passes for 3,816 yards for 34 touchdowns and five interceptions this season for Oklahoma, who lead the nation in total offense.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Steelfingers. The KU captains started it during the coin toss. And this "benching" of Mayfield is just making a bad situation worse, IMO. It just needs to go away and this isn't helping. Benching him for the 1st series? Really? :rolleyes:
If anyone thinks Mayfield is going to really be benched they're insane. He has the Heisman already for crying out loud. If he had some competition, ANY COMPETITION, it might be different. **** like this is going to make me quit watching college sports too. :nolike:

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the KU players should be benched also but this Johnny football **** needs to stop ...... he needs to act like a damn professional because that’s where he is heading unless he screws it up. It **** like this that brings his run in with the law last year (in Arkansas) back into focus I saw ESPN play the video clip today in fact ...he needs to get some training on how rising above the rif raf and BS. It could ruin his career...just ask Johnny Football

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We can hope that happens. This Saturday the 100 could go either way.
I've seen so much worse. This is suck crap.
He's a good guy that's running away with the H'man trophy race. This is a way to cast some doubts.
Glad OU makes a point, but lets not make this some big thing. Kansas should be the ones embarrassed by their unsportsmanship. I hope ever team that plays K, hangs a hundred points on them.
View attachment 109781

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen so much worse. This is suck crap.
He's a good guy that's running away with the H'man trophy race. This is a way to cast some doubts.
Glad OU makes a point, but lets not make this some big thing. Kansas should be the ones embarrassed by their unsportsmanship. I hope ever team that plays K, hangs a hundred points on them.
View attachment 109781
If this was his first offense, just crotch grabbing and talking crap, then I'd agree.

But remember this below.? He should already be on thin ice.

m1quN7J.gif

If this had been anybody but Mayfield, chances are 50/50 they'd be gone.

If Mayfield had half a brain, he would have been on his best behavior this year. OU didn't crack the whip when they should have, and he's been acting the fool all year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom