Mayfield not starting vs. WV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he played for oh, let's say, Texas? Would y'all still be saying the same thing? He's incredibly talented and obviously has a solid career in football if he stays healthy. But he's got the world telling him he can do no wrong (just like some of his apologists here), and that's just not true. He's immature and he needs someone to show him how to grow up. It's obvious the coaching staff at OU aren't up to the task, and that's too bad. :(

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he played for oh, let's say, Texas? Would y'all still be saying the same thing? He's incredibly talented and obviously has a solid career in football if he stays healthy. But he's got the world telling him he can do no wrong (just like some of his apologists here), and that's just not true. He's immature and he needs someone to show him how to grow up. It's obvious the coaching staff at OU aren't up to the task, and that's too bad. :(

I'm not sure it's the coaching staff, it may be a little higher up. Could be, but remember Stoops' earlier years? He put up with ZERO nonsense. He dumped a star QB from the team permanently without the appearance of hesitation who was then transferred out to a different school. Rhett Bomar? Dusty Dvoracek was suspended for a year. Both super stars and got canned by Stoops. I'm thinking he's reigned in by liberal superiors who can't stomach the thought of hurting a future career. It's totally possible I'm completely wrong but I'm wondering if Stoops said "screw it" over the Mixon fiasco or if he really softened in his later years.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He had to be benched to make sure the other team members didn't emulate his actions.
He is the team leader, his actions did not demonstrate leadership, it dropped into the thuggery level that most of us on this forum don't agree with.
His actions in Arkansas should have gotten him a censure and loss of a game by the coaching staff. Letting it fly did nothing for the team but show them that superstars get special treatment.
He HAD to be disciplined. I hope its for the entire game for the future of the team and the leadership of the coaching staff.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes they are and they are benching him for nothing.
Not hard to see you hate OU. Just say it.
Have you met the guy? Do you know the coaching staff? Are you in the team meetings?
The answer is NO.
GTG's overall point is spot on and I'm an OU homer of the 1st order. This kind of NFL'ish ******** is going to run me off of college sports too before it's over.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes they are and they are benching him for nothing.
Not hard to see you hate OU. Just say it.
Have you met the guy? Do you know the coaching staff? Are you in the team meetings?
The answer is NO.

But neither does 99.9% of the rest of the viewing population. I never met Charles Manson either, but...........

Everyone makes mistakes. Simple, I get it. Like it or not, Mayfield is on a stage, and he's already fallen off of the stage once(with no consequences that mattered)..........he's going to have to get if figured out soon for the benefit of himself and those around him.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What question? I started going into a coma or maybe I had a seizure. Let me go back and read it..............
Yes I would feel the same. Does that mean I win? Does this mean you are going to admit you hate OU?
Does this mean you attended the meetings, know the coaches and ran around with the kid?
If so, that's really cool.
So you're saying that if Mayfield played for Texas, spiked the UT flag on the OU crest mid field, grabbed his crotch and said F U repeatedly to the OU sidelines and tried to run from the Norman cops, you'd feel EXACTLY the same way about him as a diehard OU fan? Sorry, I'm not buying what you're selling.

You have to give truth if you want to recieve truth, but I'll give you a freebie. I'm not an OU fan. I despise David Boren quite a bit more than I despise Burns Hargis. I've always felt like OU lacked class when it comes to football. More often than not, it's rabid OU fans like yourself more than the team itself. In spite of all that, I don't hate OU because I'm not nearly emotionally invested in a game enough to muster any hate for them. Disappointed yes, hate no.

My wife on the other hand hates OU with a passion. She was actually pelted by rude OU fans at games when she was in college.

Oh, and you don't attend the meetings, don't actually know the coaches personally enough to know and you don't hang with Mayfield at the bar. So your opinion doesn't account for any more than mine, no matter how desperately you defend everything crimson and cream. So go have a fansicle fanboy, and chill! ;)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Not sure where you're getting your perspective other than bias? ..... I think it's wrong.....Baker said it was wrong.... Riley said it was wrong. That being said....cheap shots piss people off, kids for sure and Mayfield has some growing up to do. But sorry, no matter your age, cheap shots to your head will get you going IMO. Funny thing is..... I don't see any comments here or in the media every time someone throws at someone's head in MLB and someone rushes the mound or shouts obscenities, or every time there's a fight in Hockey after a cheap shot?

The plant the flag thing? Oh the horror!! I watched tOSU play their fight song in our endzone after they won in Norman last year. Didn't see any crying about it. Either way, sorry if that triggered a few people.... seen a LOT worse from other teams (especially Texas) and fans. OSU used to like to tear down goalposts.... untill the dumbasses tore their own down? and injured a few kids. So nah, wouldn't bother me. Didn't bother me when the ISU boys did it back to us in Norman this year, the news crews ignored that one. Huge win for them so I get it...... it's part of the game and big wins.

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting your perspective other than bias? ..... I think it's wrong.....Baker said it was wrong.... Riley said it was wrong. That being said....cheap shots piss people off, kids for sure and Mayfield has some growing up to do. But sorry, no matter your age, cheap shots to your head will get you going IMO. Funny thing is..... I don't see any comments here or in the media every time someone throws at someone's head in MLB and someone rushes the mound or shouts obscenities, or every time there's a fight in Hockey after a cheap shot?

The plant the flag thing? Oh the horror!! I watched tOSU play their fight song in our endzone after they won in Norman last year. Didn't see any crying about it. Either way, sorry if that triggered a few people.... seen a LOT worse from other teams (especially Texas) and fans. OSU used to like to tear down goalposts.... untill the dumbasses tore their own down? and injured a few kids. So nah, wouldn't bother me. Didn't bother me when the ISU boys did it back to us in Norman this year, the news crews ignored that one. Huge win for them so I get it...... it's part of the game and big wins.

You know the funny thing is that I'd be perfectly fine going back a few decades. Back before the crying Emo mopes apparently took over the world while no one was looking and made fun, well, not fun anymore!

But we can't go back and there's just a whole lot of behaviors that are no longer acceptable. Any one of Mayfield's indiscretions alone wouldn't mean much at all. Taken as a whole, well past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior unless something's done to stop the cycle. Sitting out one series isn't a very effective method to stop an entire cycle of behavior. I'm not saying to sit him for a whole game either. The best method would probably be off the field, but more substantial than a few minutes penance.

Look, I don't have anything against Mayfield. He's probably a good young man when his emotions don't get the best of him. But Google him and the autocomplete results are: "Girlfriend, Arrested, Kansas, Stats, Dancing, Arrest Video, Twitter, Gesture and Highlights". All I'm saying is he'd do well as a top candidate for the Heisman and a 1st Round Draft Pick to reorder those to "Girlfriend, Stats, Highlights, etc.". After all, you're not gonna get rid of the girlfriend results because she's too hot. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom