MCAAP Hunt 2019

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPW

New to the site!
Reaction score
Anybody got any info on the MCAAP Hunts coming up? Me and a buddy drew the Hominy area for October 18-20th. I'm from the McAlester area but I have never been to a hunt at the base before.

I think I'll be hunting from a blind. But any tips or pointers are apperciated.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the place I hunted wasn’t hominy seems like it was boggy area or something like that it was almost 30 years ago I have heard a lot of good things about hominy though I was probably 22 years old at the time I just found a tree I could climb and sat on a branch seen some big deer missed one

RPW

New to the site!
Reaction score
I've heard alot of good stuff about Hominy especially if the acorns are out. I'm really excited about going. This was the first time i've ever put in for a draw and it hit it.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard alot of good stuff about Hominy especially if the acorns are out. I'm really excited about going. This was the first time i've ever put in for a draw and it hit it.
Congrats on the draw! What will get your blood pumping is driving in and out and seeing Buck’s pushing 170 or more in places they don’t allow hunting

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember that MCAAP is the largest ammunition plant in the world (bomb factory). So there are lots of rules. If you can suck in your pride and expect the rules to be enforced, then you will have a great time and probably see lots of deer. I keep applying every year and have been 3 times. Although I have seen stubborn, proud people that packed up and left during the introduction/orientation meeting because they didn't like the rules. Here's a view from google maps that I have added the lines to show where Hominy Region is located.
Hominy at McAAP.jpg

Each area has more than 10000 acres (I believe). The entire base is bigger than 40,000 acres.

Did you apply as a group? If a group, how many? The 'rules' and procedures make it to where they want as few vehicles out in each region as possible, so if you are a single person hunting, then you will probably be forced to ride along in someone else's vehicle. They ask trucks with four guys to take an extra person with them. So almost every vehicle has 3, 4, or 5 people, which reduced the number of vehicles that the McAAP security team has to deal with in the field. Which also means if you scout on the aerial maps ahead of time or have a spot recommended, then you need to get there a little early before orientation and ask around for people hunting hominy that might be close to the spot your chose ahead of time, unless you are a group of 3 or more and usually you get to drive. Sometimes a group of two is forced to ride along with others or forced to allow others to ride along with you (depending on which vehicle you chose to come on base in. i.e. regular cab truck or crew cab). There will most likely be single people as hunters because usually there are quality passes from the previous year that were issued. That's a BONUS pass for the following year (same weekend) that are issued by the MCAAP team. Sometimes those are for does killed and sometimes for feral hogs killed. However, I think the hogs aren't much of an issue any longer because they started a trapping program there.

RPW

New to the site!
Reaction score
Just remember that MCAAP is the largest ammunition plant in the world (bomb factory). So there are lots of rules. If you can suck in your pride and expect the rules to be enforced, then you will have a great time and probably see lots of deer. I keep applying every year and have been 3 times. Although I have seen stubborn, proud people that packed up and left during the introduction/orientation meeting because they didn't like the rules. Here's a view from google maps that I have added the lines to show where Hominy Region is located.View attachment 142390

Each area has more than 10000 acres (I believe). The entire base is bigger than 40,000 acres.

Did you apply as a group? If a group, how many? The 'rules' and procedures make it to where they want as few vehicles out in each region as possible, so if you are a single person hunting, then you will probably be forced to ride along in someone else's vehicle. They ask trucks with four guys to take an extra person with them. So almost every vehicle has 3, 4, or 5 people, which reduced the number of vehicles that the McAAP security team has to deal with in the field. Which also means if you scout on the aerial maps ahead of time or have a spot recommended, then you need to get there a little early before orientation and ask around for people hunting hominy that might be close to the spot your chose ahead of time, unless you are a group of 3 or more and usually you get to drive. Sometimes a group of two is forced to ride along with others or forced to allow others to ride along with you (depending on which vehicle you chose to come on base in. i.e. regular cab truck or crew cab). There will most likely be single people as hunters because usually there are quality passes from the previous year that were issued. That's a BONUS pass for the following year (same weekend) that are issued by the MCAAP team. Sometimes those are for does killed and sometimes for feral hogs killed. However, I think the hogs aren't much of an issue any longer because they started a trapping program there.

So it's just me and a buddy in my group. We won't be staying at the base since my parents live really close. I grew up in the area so I have quite a bit of experience in an around the base but obviouls I never got to hunt there before.

Pride is not a problem for me. I'm just glad I get the chance to go out and hunt. If they want me to stand on my head for a chance to go after some of those deer then that's what I'm gonna do.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I still can't believe they allow binoculars and cell phones now. Would have paid extras to be able to have a set of binocs years ago, made seven trips there without some lol. Having a cell phone is a good thing for sure, no more walking and finding a red phone along the road to call if you had a deer or if there was an emergency.

RPW

New to the site!
Reaction score
I still can't believe they allow binoculars and cell phones now. Would have paid extras to be able to have a set of binocs years ago, made seven trips there without some lol. Having a cell phone is a good thing for sure, no more walking and finding a red phone along the road to call if you had a deer or if there was an emergency.

Oh wow! I thought they still didnt' allow binoculars... I need to look that up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The old fudd that used to run the show is retired now. New rules, new game. He was a totally primitive type of guy. The hunt is to reduce the numbers of deer for management control. Used the no binocs rule because HE said that if they were dropped, there was a chance the broken lense could start a fire.....Right.
I tried to talk to him the last couple of times I hunted there, and he was just an angry old man unless you were in his clique. He needed to retire.
I don't put in for the hunt anymore.

Last edited:

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So it's just me and a buddy in my group. We won't be staying at the base since my parents live really close. I grew up in the area so I have quite a bit of experience in an around the base but obviouls I never got to hunt there before.

Pride is not a problem for me. I'm just glad I get the chance to go out and hunt. If they want me to stand on my head for a chance to go after some of those deer then that's what I'm gonna do.
So with just two, you'll probably be assigned to get together with other hunters. If you have the 4 or 5 person truck, then you'll probably get to drive and maybe they will put a single person with you. You might ask around early and find the single hunter in Hominy and then when they start counting vehicles, you will already be a group of three. Just try to walk over to the map with that person and make sure they want to hunt the same area you have in mind. If that single hunter is coming back with a quality pass from last year, he's already got an idea on where he wants to hunt and might help with your pre-scouting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom