MCAAP Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bill is still there, but was a little subdue'd compared to years past with the jokes, etc.
Maybe he felt bad. Its been rumored for several years that he is going to throw in the towell, but it hasn't happened yet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hominy. I've hunted it three times.
Here is my advice. Based on information, and personal observation while we were in our hunt in Boggy, we found no oaks with acorns, no persimmons.

One of the bomb loaders came by and visited with me on a lunch break at the pickup. He is hunting this weekend, and had a small container of acorns. They were water oak acorns.
Do yourself a favor and google them, so they can be recognized when your see them. The leaf looks like a ducks foot.

He said the trees in Hominy are loaded with them now. Large clusters on every limb, and the deer were on them. He also told us that water oaks are rare in the boggy section. Seems Ashland road is like a boundry?

My advice would be to talk to the white hats, security folks that are at the gate(they drive all over the place several times a day), and if your in the field, flag them down, and ask them where they are seeing deer today, not last week, last month, but today or yesterday.

Good luck on your hunts, and hope you get the biggun!

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MCAAP 10/4 - 7/2012 - WEEKEND 1

Dennis and I had such high hopes last w/e. Cool and cloudy weather, no hunting pressure so far this year. Sounds like two ingredients for a slam dunk hunt.

The Boggy Creek drivers started pulling out at 4:30. This was earlier than normal and it was due to the base employees working two hours of OT on the front end of the shift, so we had to be off the road and out of the way earlier than my previous hunts.

I hunted Hominy this year and came away with zero deer, but I did see seven deer and one small pig. I hunted from a Double Bull blind along a 10 yd wide bulldozed strip with rye growing on it. I brought some apples, cut them up and scattered them on the strip in front of me on Thursday evening. When the light came I could see the apples had been scattered even more by some critter in the night. None had been eaten as far as I could tell.

Friday morning I saw two does; they crossed a narrow strip about 70 yds away. Had I not been swiveling my head back and forth along the strip I would not have seen them. As a matter of fact, several could have crossed and I only saw these two.

Friday evening was exciting for about eight seconds. Plenty of time left in the day when a pretty decent 8 ptr (~120-5”) jumped through some brush about 25 yds away and was about to step out onto the narrow strip in front of me. I am frozen because there is a 10 ptr behind the brush. The 10 ptr was froze as well and flickering his tail. He won’t come through the wall of brush. The 8 ptr takes a few more steps towards death, but the 10 ptr trots away at 180° with his tail in full mast. The 8 ptr follows him to my disappointment. No time to hurry a good shot shot. I had to let him go and hope his friends, relatives and neighbors would come along soon. About 15 or 20 minutes later a 20 lb black pig comes trotting down the strip from where I saw the does in the morning. That pig is coming in for some apples and I’m going to smoke him for a Quality Pass. Btw Quality Passes are only given for pigs due to the drought and high fawn mortality rate the past two Summers. At 40 yds out the pig hits the brush opposite of me and I can’t see him. My eyes are darting everywhere. No pig for what is probably 3 minutes, then the son of a pig pops out right where the 8 ptr did earlier. My crossbow (TenPoint XLT) is ready to blow an arrow right through him. He takes 3 or 4 or 5 steps towards the apples. I’m thinking “Quality Pass, Quality Pass, Quality Pass.” Then he turns 180° in a smooth, fluid motion that I can’t believe it. The pig trotted away at the same speed as he came down the strip. Two does, two mature bucks and a pig on day one. Pretty good stuff!

I think the pig may have smelled me because of the wind direction, but the deer should not have smelled us. I think the 10 ptr saw the blind was not normal, even though I was setup 10 yds off the strip and brushed in well – not well enough, eh?

Saturday morning brings a doe down the strip from the same direction as the does the previous morning. She appears to be looking at the fragrant apples from about 50 yds away. The tail flickers and she turns and trots away.

Saturday evening brings no bucks, does or pigs. . It was pretty cool all day and a bit of wind. I was excited to get out of the blind, back to the cabin for frozen pizza and wine!

Sunday morning I setup slightly down the road, 30 yds into the woods and among 10 – 20 Persimmon trees, which I had not seen on Thursday during scouting. This place was loaded with fruit in every tree. Two Persimmons dropped before light. I wondered if one was going to drop on my head and make me pee my pants. It was warmer this morning than the previous two and hardly any wind before light. Finally, around 9:00 two deer work their way along the outside of the woods. The sun was out, the slightest wind was into my face. I could see the brother-sister pair well. The doe works her way into the woods to begin some browsing and the other one (a stupid 3-4” spike) stays out in the field. A brief wind shift comes across me and blows my scent right to the spike. It happened in slow motion. I hear the wind rustle the leaves from my right, then across me and it follows to my left into the field where the spike was standing about 60 yds away. Could not have been worse timing for one of the few wind gusts to come from that direction. The spike trots into the woods, by his sister who immediately follows her brother. I wait there till 10:30, but no other deer wants persimmon pie that morning.

I think a White Hat told me that 3 deer were killed Friday morning and 9 or 12 more in the evening, but I heard no other results for any other days. It was probably the coldest opening weekend in many decades, but the deer were not moving like I had dreamed. Oh well, I saw 7 deer and a pig. I am sure there were people that saw zero deer, so I am grateful for the blessing I did receive last weekend.

Thanks to the Base Colonel, Mr. Starry, Ryan, Eric and all the White Hats who all put on the BEST Army base hunt in the United States. I don’t know how the other weekends go, but everyone is so helpful, nice and friendly during this disability hunt weekend. I know each time (4) I leave there that God has blessed me with an amazing experience.
Tim Parrish / Dreaming Man

Latest posts

Top Bottom