MCAAP Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He just told me to keep and eye out for that pig and don't scare it off like I did in the past. He remembers that from 2007 or 2008!

Hey I forgot to mention two other things. When leaving the Murphy's Meadow by the lake and dock I saw a smallish BALD EAGLE in the top of a dead pine tree.

This weekend there should be four Wounded Warriors on the hunt. I am sure the Colonel and Mr. Starry has said something about their presence at the hunt. I hope they are successful!!!

Thanks to all of our vets!!!
Tim,

With the deer not moving and all and the poor success every day, what was the theme of Starry's pep talk?

CCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my write up about my hunt this last weekend at MCAAP......sorry it's very lengthy.

I Just got back yesterday from my MCAAP hunt. I hunted the Deer Creek area. I had an inside line on an area and was able to get where I wanted. I ended up hanging a stand right along a chain link fence that butts up against a restricted area…..the fence runs north and south.

Friday morning comes and I am in the stand before 6 AM. The wind is coming out of the south, but I am back in the tree line a little ways, so from where I am to the fence is about 12 yards…..like those odds. No doe quality passes this weekend either, so I am looking for bucks this morning. I don’t see anything till about 8:15, when 2 does come running by from the south heading north…not at a dead run, but moving along pretty quick. So, I get up and get ready hoping a buck may be trailing them. Don’t see anything for a little bit, but at 8:30 those same does coming running back from the north heading south. The first one passes my location and darts into the woods, the second comes behind and runs into the woods and runs right under my stands…would have been a straight down shot.

That was the only action, until that late afternoon. I stayed on stand all day….almost, got down at 6 PM cause the guys that signed up to ride in my truck wanted to head back at 6. So, around 5 PM I am looking back and fourth along the fence when I just happen to look over my shoulder behind me, there is thick woods and a creek bed about 40 yards behind me. But, when I look there is a deer just about 20 yards away….I at first can’t tell what it is so I grab my bow and stand up. When I look back over there, I lock eyes with a doe…crap, BUSTED! She give me the old head bob…..foot stomp….followed by blowing a few times and heading north….with 3 other tails following her, did not see them until then. I am shocked when about a minute later I can see that doe coming down along the fence looking up into the tree I am in. She is nervous as hell and stomping her foot and bobbing her head the whole time…..with the other 3 right behind her, all does. She gets just about even with my tree…blows and retreats back to the north. Then comes back….this happens 2 more time. Finally she runs past my location. Soon followed by the next doe……then the next…..then the last one comes along like there are no worries in the world. She is so calm, that she stops to feed on the pile of white oak acorns I piled up in the middle of the trail. In the mean time, the other 3 deer have run down the fence and have come back on the other side of the fence on the restricted side…..all standing watch over the does standing in front of me having a snack. I had that deer broad side for about 3 minutes at 10 yards….I think I could make that shot….8 out of 10 times.. After she is done with her snack, she heads south and meets up with the others and they head west over some railroad tracks and out of sight…..very cool event that I will not forget. That was the last deer I saw before getting down and ending my first days hunt.

Now comes day 2 and I have a little different frame of mind……if one of those does comes by today, I am going to do my best to get her to take a ride in the back of my truck. Sitting in the same spot first light comes and no activity. Nothing going on till about 8:45 when I can see those does coming from the north, but this time they are on the other side of the fence..CRAP. They walked past my location and do not appear nervous at all….they continue south along the fence and head west over the tracks like they did the evening before. After the day before, I knew that there was no activity along this spot late morning till the afternoon, so I headed to another stand that I had and that was a climber and more comfortable. (there was no place for me to hang this stand along the fence) I sat in that stand from about 10:30 to about 4 and did not see anything. I head back to my first stand to sit till dark. After sitting in the stand for a while scanning back and fourth along the fence I glance over my shoulder down towards the creek. I see some movement coming from the north heading south…..thought it was a coyote at first. I stand up and get a better look, turns out it’s a doe, just looked lower to the ground since she was in the creek bed. I have no chance at a shot. It’s now about 6 PM and I look south down to the where the fence ends, or begins, depends how to look at it, and I see the first doe heading out of the woods past the fence going west over the train tracks….then another, then another. I am bummed because I know that the fourth one is going to be right behind them and won’t see them again tonight. So, I sit down in disgust. Next thing I know, here comes the fourth doe…..right in front of me on my side of the fence!! She was after those easy pickins acorns I had piled up out there. She is nervous so I can’t stand up or she’ll blow out of there. In the mean time the other 3 doe have come down to our location on the other side of the fence like they had done the day before. I am finally able to draw my bow when none of the deer are looking in my direction….while sitting mind you, and I let one fly……right over her back and through the fence into the restricted area….CRAP!!!! All the deer blow out heading north, 3 on the restricted side and the one on my side. This was the last activity of the day.

Head back to Murphy’s Meadow and locate Bill Starry and let him know that I had an arrow go through the fence into the restricted area….he smarty asked if it had gone through the deer first…..with a smile on his face. Had to tell him how I had missed and that I had to make the shot while sitting….he said must have been the wind that made me miss….I agreed both with smiles on our faces…..then came the rain…..did it ever pour the rain that evening. I huddled up in my camper and rode it out…..pretty gusty and was hoping it was not going to get much worse. Finally settled down and I fall asleep waiting for my final half day in the field.

Sunday morning comes and I have renewed hope for the last day. I get up in my stand and wait for first light. At about 6:30 to my south about 60 to 70 yards I hear a buck start grunting…..I mean really getting after it. He was vocal for several minutes, but I don’t want to grunt back till it better light and shooting time. About 5 minutes before shooting time….I use my mouth and make some grunts, similar in sound to what he had made earlier…..I’ll be damed, he answers back. We grunt back and fourth for about 5 minutes……my adrenaline is on the way up. A little after 7, I can make out a deer walking slowly stopping every step coming from the south. I just know it’s that buck coming to check me out….now my adrenaline is squirting out of my ears I am so excited. I can see the deer from about the neck down and really only see the body and legs. It takes another few steps very slowly…and I can finally make it out…..it’s a DOE!!! I was bummed, that doe makes it’s way over to the pile of acorns in the middle of the trail, she is very nervous. I am standing and staying motionless. She comes up and starts eating those acorns for about 5 minutes….just eating away and clams down like she does not have a care in the world…..I am now holding out for that buck I had been talking to and hoped that that doe may bring him in. That doe was broad side for 5 minutes just eating away. When she had her fill, she just moved off towards the north and I was hoping a buck would come trailing along behind her soon……nope. About 8:05 just across the fence to the west in the restricted area a buck starts grunting much deeper and guttural than the one earlier and another one due south of him answers back. The one in front of me can’t be more that 40 or 50 yards away, but I cannot see him in the timber over there. Those 2 went back and fourth for about 5 minutes….I would throw some grunts in there too for good measure…I even tried a snort wheeze to get them real fired up. After about 5 minutes they stopped and I just waited. It’s now about 9 and I catch some movement out of the corner of my eye to the north…I get ready and the old adrenaline is flowing hard again….DAMN….it’s that doe coming back for seconds. Again, she stays there for 5 minutes, broad side at 10 yards!! I am still holding out for one of those bucks. She finishes her snack and heads south along the fence…finally crossing over into the restricted area slowly over the tracks. She is looking around more than usual and I am thinking a buck is about to step out….no such luck. She disappears over the tracks. A little later I try grunting again….I actually get a response south and west over into the restricted area about 100 yards away I guess. It never turned into anything because now it’s almost 10:30 and I have to pack all my gear out and be back at the truck at 12 to return to camp.

I completely enjoyed the experience and have no regrets. I saw deer everyday; I missed a doe from a sitting position…and lost an arrow to the restricted area…lol. Then I heard more buck grunting then I have ever heard in one day afield before. I just wished that the Sunday’s events would have been on Friday and I could have had more time in the field. That storm rolling through Saturday night turned the bucks on and they were out cruising big time. Now it’s back to putting my name in the hat for another chance at MCAAP.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That was the only action, until that late afternoon. I stayed on stand all day….almost, got down at 6 PM cause the guys that signed up to ride in my truck wanted to head back at 6.

6pm on the first day of the hunt??????????????????????????????????????????????? You're too nice, I would have told them no. :) Sounds like you saw some deer and had some action, nice write up.

Deercrz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be headed to boggy this Thursday Im already having trouble sleeping cause of excitement. First time in boggy not sure what to expect but will talk to few white hats and hope they can help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom