MCAAP Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep I will be just east of you with my muzzleloader. I can't wait!!!! The weather looks to be perfect. I so enjoy this time of year!!!! Good Luck I hope you get one of those big uns

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Whew, wut a day. Hung my stand in a good location around a few scrapes. On way out found a freshly disced/planted place. Set up a chair blind. Seen 4 does on it. On way from that area seen 2 very nice shooter bucks.

Scrapes are everywhere. Have 3 other guys with me, helped them. Showering n goin to bed.

Im wore out.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you're set up for some good shooting opportunities. Hope you get a big shooter buck but at least get a doe for the quality pass if available. Weather should have the bucks prowling.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Seen gray fox early am. Seen 2 deer but was to far to tell or see. Prolly does. Nephew Shot n missed about 9am. Said was a nice one. Also passed on spike aftrr his miss. I set him on a Nice scrape on 2 trails. The temp is nice but really windy. N e ways im on lil break. Gonna eat apple Vienna sausage n cheese.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Friday evening. Weather was windy. I set up on a disced green trail near end of some bunkers about 1/2 mile from border fence. Ive got several scrapes in a concentrated area of sumac.

Had several does browsing about 40yds away. Around 5:30ish a nice 120ish sz buck chased a doe towards my stand, i whistled but they never slowed. About 6pm a small 5pt made another scrape about 20ft from my stand, then chased the rest of the does until dark. I had to come down about dark to meet convoy, so i got busted n snorted at by the does.

My cousin was hunting about 400yds west of me in some cedars and seen 3does. Uncle see a "monster", he's not much of a hunter, always sees a "monster", we had him in a producing water oak near a pond. My nephew shot at a "nice" one friday morning and seen a couple of does fri evening.

Saturday, weather was perfect, with light breeze. i had some bad luck, first i took a spill getting out of truck. Stepped into a ditch and liked to broke my ankle, its all black nblue n swollen. Then when im near stand, i turn light off, moon is bright anyway. I manage to dang near poke my eye out on a cedar branch. Now im gimping and half blind.

Daylight comes and i got a doe headed my way, also got a shooter buck over by a scrape but no shot. Both deer are within my range and both seem calm and unaware. I get ready slowly, then the does squats to pee, buck musta heard her and chased her into brush behind me. They were back there doing the chase thing for about 1/2hr befor heading west.

About 10am, nephew texts, says he shot a doe, needs help finding her. I tell him to wait about hr and ill be there. Me and my cousin meet him around 11am, start searching, find his broken arrow, with about 3" missing. Had a couple hairs on it. He said he think he "spined" her. Anyway no blood. I hope she lives. Cousin didnt see nothing, Uncle got cold, was in truck about 9am.

Back in my stand by 1pm, wind gusting pretty good, still chilly, just right for some action. Just before dark, could see 4-5 deer browsing the green about 100yds away. Had to leave but at least i didnt spook them. Nephew didnt see anything in evening, cousin seen does but no shot, uncle seen nothing. My ankle was killing me, my eye is scratched n itching n burning.

Back at camp there were 7 very nice bucks killed, one brute for sure 140-150ish. Also a white hat killed a big buck but it was a 3y/o so he'll be banned and they keep the deer. The whites hats can only shoot 160+ bucks and the jaw bone/teeth must indicate a minimum of 4 y/o age. If it doesnt meet these requirements it counts as a doe for them and they suffer a one year ban, second offence is a perm ban.

Sunday, weather is cold, calm and clear. At daylight i have a med doe working her way into range. Shes about 25-30yds away i think, no other deer around, i decide to stand up. She sees me, gets nervous so i hurry my shot. Clean miss. My qaulity pass gone. I sit back down. About 10ish, the little buck comes by right under my tree. I let him walk. About 11am i decide my ankle and eye hurt enough and i take my stand down. Back at truck, nephew seen a great big buck cross road toward bunker, where my ground blind and chair is. I take my my bow n go get my chair. On way back to truck i jump a big bodied deer.

Anyway, tag soup for me. Had a great time, wore myself out, seen several deer, had a great chance, deer were moving. I found an excellant place to hunt in Hominy. I cant wait for another chance.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also a white hat killed a big buck but it was a 3y/o so he'll be banned and they keep the deer. The whites hats can only shoot 160+ bucks and the jaw bone/teeth must indicate a minimum of 4 y/o age. If it doesnt meet these requirements it counts as a doe for them and they suffer a one year ban, second offence is a perm ban.
I didn't know that rule for the white hats until I went down this year and actually asked one of them why they do this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom