McAlester Army Ammunition Plant Controlled Hunt Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me and 3 buddies got drawn for late October. Looking forward to it, not sure what area or anything, where do I find all that out?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Once you pay your fees, they will send you links to a map of the facility and the area your going to hunt.
Copy the map, blow up the area you’ll be hunting, then ask everyone you know that has hunted to put a mark on your map where they killed a deer.
Then go to google earth and do some scouting.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and 3 buddies got drawn for late October. Looking forward to it, not sure what area or anything, where do I find all that out?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If you check on the ODWC website (controlled hunt results) it should tell you the weekend and area you drew.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have killed 4-5 over the past 10-12 years on the 1st weekend. Nothing in the last 3-4 trips. It can been H O T. It has been wet a few times. (DEER CREEK - 2011?) Killed a 135" after a 4 hour overnight downpour. Couldn't make it last year due to an illness and didn't get drawn this year. I need extra help due to hunting from wheelchair. The White Hats are First Class guys as well as the Biologist and other employees. They get me into some easy access places where I see multiple deer every trip except 1 time.
In 2016, (DEER CREEK) I was within 100 yds of two @ 150". It rained morning of hunt and could not get where the deer were on Thursday :( Still had doe walk w/ in 20 yds but could not get wheelchair positioned, also 8 pt 120" walked from behind me; could have scratched his back with my bolt. I bet he is a beauty this year, if he survived the last 2 seasons. Also, saw a bachelor group of 6-8 about 250 yds away all 3 days.

MCAAP is a great place to hunt. It is always my 1st choice for controlled hunts. I stay at the cabins located on base. They are nice, clean, have satellite TV, refrigerator, stove, oven and shower.

I haven't been in a couple of years but it got to be a hassle and don't apply anymore.
I'm eligible for the disabled hunt which is the first of the season. Hotter than hell, and the regimen of convoys into and out of the hunt areas became tiresome.
They do have some monster deer on the place though.

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No luck this year for me on drawing the ledgendary MCAAP hunt but excited to try next year. Has anyone here ever been on this hunt? If so, can you tell me about your time there? How the hunt go, hunting tactic, camping, and just general experience at the AA plant.

I know it’s long bow or recurve only without sights and that makes it kind theof exciting for me..getting within 30 yards,etc. I read, once drawn it’s a 13% chance to harvest a deer but when you get one they are absolute monsters and could easily go Pope & Young scored.

Anyway, if anyone has been would you mind sharing your experience there?!
I have hunted big mac a few times …… in the early 70s …. We camped the night before the hunt at the lake … it rained six inches … all of the gear was soaked... We. Hunted the next am and went home seeing not tried againzero deer. Many of the roads were closed due to water.

About 25 years ago, I was drawn to a shotgun hunt for does. Killed one at noon …..

Was drawn in after 9-11 for crossbow hunt. we were turned away at gate..... The hunt was postponed for a year. It was first weekend of oct …. Hot. Deer in no hunt areas ….. Say zero bucks. deer walked about looking into. Trees. Got zero shots.

The next year …. Drawn in again …. Same hunt …. It was again very hot. Had does under tree three times …. Connected. saw a few bucks walking to truck ….. Zero in field

I have not tried again ….. Just too hot in early oct for me

Latest posts

Top Bottom