MEAD 40gr "dog gone" sphp 223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm always looking at 223 factory ammo choices since it's my main caliber for coyote hunting and the once a year deer hunting.

I recently stumbled across a company called Mead , from what I can gather their business has been bullet design for other companies and they make the equipment to produce the bullets for a lot of companies around the world.

Anyway they recently started loading ammo and have a 40gr 223 load I'm going to test hopefully in late January after I shoot the current stuff I have coming from Fiocchi and Winchester in my little 1:12 twist handi rifle & was curious if anyone has any experience with these guys already. Here's a link, I've sent them an email asking about their ammo & how it can be sp&hp both?

https://meadammo.com/product/223-40gr-sp-hp-dog-gone-varmit-ammunition/

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will I'm guessing it's either hollow under the tip or it's a sp that acts like a HP? I really don't know.

They look awful short and they're not real fast for 40gr ammo but I'll see what they say & eventually try some in the handi rifle and the boys savage. The savage is one of those guns that shoots everything great so I'm excited to see how they do

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the box & a few other places it list them as sp/HP. Maybe that's all they're meaning by sp/HP is soft points that act like hp's I don't know

Attachments

• dog-gone.png
    dog-gone.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. I would think they would be rocket ships at .40 grain.
I have two 20 rd boxes of Federal 45 grain in .223. Don’t know what the factory says for velocity but if loaded to capacity, I’d think in the 3300 fps class or a bit more.
Your 1:12 twist should run those 40 grain just fine if you opt to get some.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They claim " Velocity 2810fps from a 16 inch A/R and 3248fps from a 26″ bolt gun "

That's fast enough for me as I don't get all wrapped around the axle with fps like some but in comparison to say the Winchester white box 45gr HP Winchester " claims " 3600 for those & Fiocchi says their 40gr vmax to be like 3620-3650 something like that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They claim " Velocity 2810fps from a 16 inch A/R and 3248fps from a 26″ bolt gun "

That's fast enough for me as I don't get all wrapped around the axle with fps like some but in comparison to say the Winchester white box 45gr HP Winchester " claims " 3600 for those & Fiocchi says their 40gr vmax to be like 3620-3650 something like that.
That is slow, but maybe that bullet needs that particular speed to be accurate? I'd stick with 55 grain.

Last edited:

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is slow, but maybe that bullet needs that particular speed to be accurate? I'd stick with .55 grain.
Yeah it's not real quick like you I'm betting there's a reason, I might try a bag of 50 just for gits and shiggles and see what they do. To light for a dual purpose bullet for me but I'd try some just to see how accurate they are in the handi

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Response from Mead.

" Hello Waylon,

Thanks for reaching out. I’ve CC’d both Greg (the owner and designer of this bullet), and Jeff (our Ballistics Lab Supervisor) on this email. They might have some input they would also want to share with you.

First a little history. Mead Industries has been making the machinery that produce bullets for almost 40 years. Our clients include Fiocchi, Barnes, Sellier & Belloit, and many more. So, you probably have shot plenty of projectiles over the course of time that came off of one of our presses. Our owner, Greg Mead, worked for Hornady many years ago, and was in charge of new product development for them. He is the creator of the XTP and A-Max product lines. Recently we have transitioned to producing our own product lines. We ultimately want to produce a high-end Hunting Lines in several calibers, that focus on terminal characteristics and a Match Grade Lineup that focuses on Distance and accuracy. We are finding that there is also plenty of options for a Hybrid line that utilizes characteristics for both.

The .223 40gr Dog Gone Varmint ammunition you are planning to test was originally designed to shoot out of a 22 Mag. When we discovered the performance of this bullet, we tested in .223 and 22-250 so far. Since 223 brass was the easiest cases to source, the creation of the Dog Gone product line occurred. We continued to evolve the design throughout the testing and discovered that a simple tooling change in our process would allow us to create a HP cavity in the Soft Point Lead tip. This added to the rapid expansion and terminal characteristics of this bullet. So, we chose to market it this way. It also sets us apart some from traditional varmint marketing you see everywhere. "

Latest posts

Top Bottom