MEAT in the garbage disposal ?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does MEAT belong down the garbage disposal ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok...

I was just sitting in my office printing out some shipping forms, minding my own business, when all of a sudden I am jolted from my chair by the most ungodly, demonic sound you can imagine. The walls shook, the lights dimmed, and I imagined what sounded like the entire family unit being eaten alive by some hideous monster letting out grunts and belches as it choked down my loved ones head first.

Turns out, my fears were relieved and it was the wife "just putting some MEAT down the garbage disposal".

For crying out loud, am I the only one who thinks that it's not wise to do this? I informed her as calmly as I could that putting half a pot roast down the drain wasn't really prudent. She looked at me as if I'd grown a third eyeball on my forehead and exclaimed that "well that's what it's for isn't it... to put garbage down?"

I tried to explain... to no avail. We've actually had this conversation before too (although she conveniently doesn't remember). In fact I've actually replaced one garbage disposal in this house already that met it's fate in an untimely and still unsolved murder.

I gave up. She just glared at me with distain as if I were a shadetree mechanic who just stumbled into the NASCAR garage. I walked away shaking my head and she burnt holes in the back of my skull with her "I know garbage disposal's better than you" stare.

What say you people? Does meat belong in the garbage disposal?

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahaha, this made me laugh. I've been in this fight before. The only regularly made thing that I don't put down it is potato skins, but most everything else that's food related is fair game.

But still, half a pot roast?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh hell no!

Source: Raised by a plumber that wouldn't even allow a garbage disposal in his house for like 30 years. Don't worry about your disposal; worry about the line getting packed full of cow.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the chaos after my grandfather died, some family members did my grandmother a huge favor and cleaned out her fridge. And by cleaned out her fridge I mean stuffed an entire chicken down the sink.

It didn't fit.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm listening...

To be fair, I can't say with certainty that it was half a pot roast. I do know that it SOUNDED like half a pot roast.

I'm not kidding about the walls shaking. It wouldn't have surprised me if the whole sink would have come unattached in it's violent death throes and chased her across the kitchen in some form of bizzaro revenge.

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I throw away food, it goes in the trash. The disposal chews up little pieces left from rinsing the dishes. My wife used to shove all kinds if stuff down the drain until she clogged it badly on Thanksgiving and I had to disassemble the piping under the sink to clean it out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on a septic system. We recently had to put in new laterals after 26 years of continous service. We are on our second disposal.
Meat goes down our disposal on occasion. Tater skins, rice, everything goes. What causes problems in some cases is people thinking its a "batch" disposal, when in fact they are a "continous" mechanism.
If you load it up, and punch the switch, you run a chance of plugging up the drains. If you start it, and feed the debris into the chamber slowly, while running a high volume of water, you won't have any problem at all. The rice I've put in is already cooked and swolen, so it has never been an issue.
I'll run some ice through it, per the manufacturers instructions on occasion to keep the little nooks and cranny's cleaned up and not smelling.
Don't buy the cheapest model, and expect great results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom