1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

MEAT in the garbage disposal ?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HMFIC, Feb 28, 2012.

Does MEAT belong down the garbage disposal ?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2019.
  1. Yup, shove it full... it grinds it up anyway you fool

44.2%
  2. NO WAY! HMFIC is right! Garbage disposal are for soft carrots 'n sech

55.8%
  1. Glock 40

Glock 40 Problem Solver

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I have heard to many horror stories of stopped up drains on Thanksgiving and Christmas from folks dumping it all down the disposal. We use ours sparingly but the wife knows lots of water and let it run past when she thinks it is done to keep washing it on down.

2. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The issue some folks have with garbage disposals is that they are designed to be continuously fed, not batch fed. Stuff a bunch of potato skins in the hopper, turn it on and your about guaranteed a plugged drain.
    Turn on the disposal with water running and feed the tater skins in slowly, you can do 20 lbs with no problem.
    Disposals are pretty good on their own to clear clogs. Fill the sink with water, turn on the disposal and let the pressure push the clog out. You will have to plug off the companion drain if it’s a double sink.

3. dirtrider73068

dirtrider73068 Sharpshooter

Your mention of tator peels, yup my mom found out the hard way, me being having small hands ended up pulling the tator skins out, and from then on she puts them in the trash.

dennishoddy likes this.
  4. gremmy11

gremmy11 Marksman

Garbage disposal in very convenient tool for kitchen. Recently I bought two disposals for my kitchen. If you do lots of cooking, I recommend the purchase of more powerful model that can easily handle your family’s needs. I found review on website about best garbage disposals

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    dennishoddy likes this.
  5. n423

n423 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Our last house the disposal went out, we had it removed. When our new house came with one, it will be removed when it goes out. Really not a fan of them.

6. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Oddly enough, they have started to offer garbage disposals in RV's. Some people are happy with the idea, but my concern is that unlike a regular house, a disposal in an RV will leave a residue of food particles in the grey water holding tank. Since many grey water holding tanks don't have a flush system, that could be a problem down the road, especially so with bugs.

dennishoddy and Glock 40 like this.
  7. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Agree. No disposal in our RV until they install a flush system for the grey water tanks.