Meat shortage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because you saved poorly for retirement and I didnt means I have little sense and a lot of money?
Mmmmkay...
Rick I'll buy ya a package of Cosseys stuffed pork chops. Since I have little sense, money and am generous.
Okay buddy??

Saved just fine, had a nice business going, several employees, then Obama happened along with health issues. And thanks for the pork offer but I like what I buy just fine, plus the wife can eat them.

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tried ordering meat a few times back in April thru Wal-Mart grocery pick up and every time almost everything was sold out by the time I picked up my order. Been going to Harvard Meat Market in Broken Arrow and haven't had any problem and the prices are reasonable and the quality is good. Only hiccup I have had was that I tried to pick up a pork tenderloin and they only had frozen....first world problems.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son sent me a text tonight saying that he was wanting to do a brisket over the weekend, but $100 was too much for his budget.
Just an FYI, Aldi's is selling 10 lb bags of chicken quarters, legs and thighs for .49 per pound.
Lots of good recipes can be made with that cheap protein.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from the grocery store...

F***ing stupid ugly CHOICE brisket is now at $6/lb. Last year I bought PRIME brisket at Costco for $3/lb.

12 lbs briskets, and every one was over $70. Jeebus. This is stupid.

Agreed. That s**t can set there and rot before I'll pay that for a discount cut of meat. Homeland used to run bone-in ribeyes for $5.99/lb for crying out loud.

When buying brisket I'm damned hard pressed to pay $3.00/lb regardless of grade, which I don't put a lot of stock in anyway. I've had Select turn out as good as the couple of Primes I've cooked on my BGE, so I don't even bother with that anymore. Just give me back the $1.49/lb Memorial day sales please...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
What store?

Agreed. That s**t can set there and rot before I'll pay that for a discount cut of meat. Homeland used to run bone-in ribeyes for $5.99/lb for crying out loud.

Yup, this was at Homeland. I don't even LOOK at WalMart because most of the time they sell Select briskets and I ain't spending money on those.

I ended up with some prepackaged Anduille and frozen scrimps, some red potatoes, ears of corn and red onion. Made up a semi-Cajun boil. It was ok... the scrimps were some of the rubberiest I've EVER had, the Anduille was... well, fair, I suppose. The corn turned out to be the best part of it all, but I ate 2 platefuls anyways. lol

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks will pay seven bucks for a cup of "coffee", then spend buckets of cash on custom guns and ammo, then ***** about paying for meat. That cow had to DIE to give you that steak.

If you look at how average Americans slice up their "budget", relative to decades ago, we have money to burn on food. Complaining about food costs show an ignorance of "real" cost vs production costs.

Just another symptom from our change from a rural/agrarian nation to an urban/dependent nation.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Folks will pay seven bucks for a cup of "coffee", then spend buckets of cash on custom guns and ammo, then ***** about paying for meat. That cow had to DIE to give you that steak.

If you look at how average Americans slice up their "budget", relative to decades ago, we have money to burn on food. Complaining about food costs show an ignorance of "real" cost vs production costs.

Just another symptom from our change from a rural/agrarian nation to an urban/dependent nation.

Go pay $6/lb for crappy brisket then.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from the grocery store...

F***ing stupid ugly CHOICE brisket is now at $6/lb. Last year I bought PRIME brisket at Costco for $3/lb.

12 lbs briskets, and every one was over $70. Jeebus. This is stupid.

Mama went to Crest and then Walmart yesterday and said that the price per pound of beef has gone through the roof no matter what the cut.

To save some pesos I'd become a vegetarian but screw it I'll just pony up the extra $$$........I like these too much.

t-bone.jpg

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a great looking steak, but I don't get to spend that kind of money on food, in spite of being spoiled and not having any idea about production costs and blah blah blah.

We usually eat a lot of pork and chicken. Lot of sausage. We do babybacks which is usually our 'splurge', I think they run around $3.50/lb most of the time. I honestly can't remember the last time I did steaks, sadly. I know I haven't done them once this year. Last year... I don't know, I didn't do much BBQing/grilling/smoking last year. I might have done steaks a couple times earlier in the year, pretty sure after July I didn't.

When I look at $8.99/lb, $11.99/lb and more, it's tough to bite that bullet. If I DO do it, I usually go 'whole hog' and try to get Prime at Costco or Reasor's. I haven't been to either of those places probably in more than 6 months. Wait... I did hit the Reasor's in Owasso early this year or late last year, but I didn't buy any meat, just some cheeses, I think.

Man, as much as I love to grill or smoke meat, it seems I'm stuck in a bit of a rut. Pork, mostly. Every time I try to bring up brisket, or beef ribs or steaks, my wife reminds me how we can't afford it. <sigh>

Latest posts

Top Bottom