1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Meat shortage.

Discussion in 'Preppers' Corner' started by RickN, Apr 15, 2020.

1. GeneW

GeneW Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I splurged yesterday and bought a nice T-Bone at Crest, I did NOT like the price of $19.98 a pound, but decided it was time for a nice treat.

I vividly remember buying brisket for 69-cents per pound back in 2005. I know that's 15 years ago, but the inflation picture related to income today vs then is nowhere near that.

Costco has ground beef, I think it's about 90% mix, in the big package for $3.49 a pound, might be up to $3.69. I bought a bunch, put 1.5 pound amounts in freezer bags and stuffed what little room my dinky chest freezer had left. It's really good quality and tasty hamburger meat. I highly recommend it.

retrieverman and dennishoddy like this.
  2. RickN

RickN Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%

Pretty much the same boat but if you have a Crest close, some times they will run small Sirloins for $3.99lb. I will also buy 80/20 roll HB at Aldi and make stuffed hamburger steaks.

3. ignerntbend

ignerntbend Sharpshooter

When you engage in an argument about meat, you don’t have to crush your adversary and dance on his grave.

4. KurtM

KurtM Sharpshooter

Special Hen
    Rating
    100%
    I agree with Iggy!!! Never crush your adversary......grind them! After all we are talking about meat!:pms2:
    Oh and no grave!:spaghetti:

RickN and ignerntbend like this.
  5. HeyEng

HeyEng Sharpshooter

This. It's been like this for about a month and a half. As far as I know, all locations have stopped all day breakfast as well.

As far as the price meat seems to be going, I wonder how long before chain steak houses go out of business? I don't know a lot of people that would spend $50 a person to go to Texas Road House.

6. HeyEng

HeyEng Sharpshooter

This. It's been like this for about a month and a half. As far as I know, all locations have stopped all day breakfast as well.
    But, that wouldn't be in the true spirit of this forum. :)

RickN and dennishoddy like this.
  7. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    My wife just got back from town. She said while it appears the big stores are raising meat prices, our local butcher shop had actually lowered theirs.

dennishoddy and Neckbeard like this.
  8. Neckbeard

Neckbeard Ammo For Sale

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Life is too short not to enjoy what you want. I am saving enough in gas prices now I can buy fillet once a week and not blink. Its all about priorities, if you want good meat buy it and cut costs elsewhere. A steak is supposed to be a pleasure to eat. I have always found I can spend half the money of taking the family of 4 to the steak house and we can all eat like kings if I cook it myself.

9. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Same here. If I get a USDA prime ribeye it cost $20 per pound at the meat market.
    That same steak depending on the restaurant would be anywhere from $30 to $45 delivered to my plate, and most of the time while eating it I’ll be grumbling about how its overcooked.

10. stroker-c10

stroker-c10 Sharpshooter

I normally won't pay for premium cuts of steak and am generally happen with strips or the occasional ribeye, I did see that Burn Co in Tulsa and Jenks has Tomahawk steaks on for $9.99/lb. Think I am going to bite the bullet tomorrow and give it a shot, as I haven't cooked a steak this size on my Traeger or Hasty Bake before and would like to give it a shot. Just need to decide which route I would like to go with on a cut this big.