Meat shortage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I just bought some hotlinks and some corndogs. I couldn't afford any of that high-falutin hamburger or pork chops.

I'm good for a couple of days then I might have to go hog huntin'.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think there's a single plant that supplies 14% of the beef in the US.

Although I did read the Smithfield plant produces 4% of the pork.

I haven't been able to find Earl Campbell's Hot Links in weeks. :( They have the Red Hot Links, but not the regular Hot Links. :( There's a difference...

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
My freezers are full.
Just checked my reserve meat supply & I dont see any shortage there.:thumb:
cattle-grazing3.jpg

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

I haven't been able to find Earl Campbell's Hot Links in weeks. :( They have the Red Hot Links, but not the regular Hot Links. :( There's a difference...

There are plenty of them at Save-A-Lot here.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
WM market had a good selection of schwabs products on a freezer end cap. I grabbed about a dozen hot link and hot dog packages.
Another thing we should be thinking of is how much grain we ship to world markets. Went up to my lease today and a farmer was baling up a fresh wheat field. It’s possible he was doing it as a regular practice OR was he doing it to keep his cattle fed because there’s no market to take them to?

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Your 14% comment got me to thinking (because I really have no idea was just going off what I was told) so I did some googling...the only thing I could find was the below site. About halfway down the page it lists the 4 largest producers and states that the 4th largest has a 13% market share. I can see how "market share" can be misleading in this industry if the 100s or 1000s of smaller processing plants aren't considered.

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/09/17/yup-80-of-our-beef-comes-from-4-producers.aspx

Latest posts

Top Bottom