Meat shortage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I splurged yesterday and bought a nice T-Bone at Crest, I did NOT like the price of $19.98 a pound, but decided it was time for a nice treat.

I vividly remember buying brisket for 69-cents per pound back in 2005. I know that's 15 years ago, but the inflation picture related to income today vs then is nowhere near that.

Costco has ground beef, I think it's about 90% mix, in the big package for $3.49 a pound, might be up to $3.69. I bought a bunch, put 1.5 pound amounts in freezer bags and stuffed what little room my dinky chest freezer had left. It's really good quality and tasty hamburger meat. I highly recommend it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a great looking steak, but I don't get to spend that kind of money on food, in spite of being spoiled and not having any idea about production costs and blah blah blah.

We usually eat a lot of pork and chicken. Lot of sausage. We do babybacks which is usually our 'splurge', I think they run around $3.50/lb most of the time. I honestly can't remember the last time I did steaks, sadly. I know I haven't done them once this year. Last year... I don't know, I didn't do much BBQing/grilling/smoking last year. I might have done steaks a couple times earlier in the year, pretty sure after July I didn't.

When I look at $8.99/lb, $11.99/lb and more, it's tough to bite that bullet. If I DO do it, I usually go 'whole hog' and try to get Prime at Costco or Reasor's. I haven't been to either of those places probably in more than 6 months. Wait... I did hit the Reasor's in Owasso early this year or late last year, but I didn't buy any meat, just some cheeses, I think.

Man, as much as I love to grill or smoke meat, it seems I'm stuck in a bit of a rut. Pork, mostly. Every time I try to bring up brisket, or beef ribs or steaks, my wife reminds me how we can't afford it. <sigh>

Pretty much the same boat but if you have a Crest close, some times they will run small Sirloins for $3.99lb. I will also buy 80/20 roll HB at Aldi and make stuffed hamburger steaks.

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both 19th and I-35 and the one at 74th and Western are running stripped down menus with a statement that it's due to "current conditions". I'm just assuming it's across the board.

This. It's been like this for about a month and a half. As far as I know, all locations have stopped all day breakfast as well.

As far as the price meat seems to be going, I wonder how long before chain steak houses go out of business? I don't know a lot of people that would spend $50 a person to go to Texas Road House.

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both 19th and I-35 and the one at 74th and Western are running stripped down menus with a statement that it's due to "current conditions". I'm just assuming it's across the board.

This. It's been like this for about a month and a half. As far as I know, all locations have stopped all day breakfast as well.
When you engage in an argument about meat, you don’t have to crush your adversary and dance on his grave.
But, that wouldn't be in the true spirit of this forum. :)

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Life is too short not to enjoy what you want. I am saving enough in gas prices now I can buy fillet once a week and not blink. Its all about priorities, if you want good meat buy it and cut costs elsewhere. A steak is supposed to be a pleasure to eat. I have always found I can spend half the money of taking the family of 4 to the steak house and we can all eat like kings if I cook it myself.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Life is too short not to enjoy what you want. I am saving enough in gas prices now I can buy fillet once a week and not blink. Its all about priorities, if you want good meat buy it and cut costs elsewhere. A steak is supposed to be a pleasure to eat. I have always found I can spend half the money of taking the family of 4 to the steak house and we can all eat like kings if I cook it myself.

Same here. If I get a USDA prime ribeye it cost $20 per pound at the meat market.
That same steak depending on the restaurant would be anywhere from $30 to $45 delivered to my plate, and most of the time while eating it I’ll be grumbling about how its overcooked.

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I normally won't pay for premium cuts of steak and am generally happen with strips or the occasional ribeye, I did see that Burn Co in Tulsa and Jenks has Tomahawk steaks on for $9.99/lb. Think I am going to bite the bullet tomorrow and give it a shot, as I haven't cooked a steak this size on my Traeger or Hasty Bake before and would like to give it a shot. Just need to decide which route I would like to go with on a cut this big.

Latest posts

Top Bottom