Medical Emergency and CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok was sitting here thinking (I know the thinking part usually gets me into trouble and hurts real bad too) about what would happen to my ccw weapon if i had a accident or a medical emergency somewhere and had my weapon on me, would the LE, EMT or the hospital security remove it and keep it and how would i/family member go about getting it back. Any LE or EMT have any input on this.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
EMT and we hand them over to SO or OHP..............what happens to the firearm from there I'm not sure. Some EMS provider's protocols won't allow contact with the firearm and just let LE step up and remove the firearm and deal with it. I do know that it doesn't travel in the ambulance with you like other personal articles might. Not sure what the process is about how it's stored on scene and the return process.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cops will unload it and hold it as property. Probably run the numbers, but only because they have to account for it. Hospitals won't hold it unless an employee is a personal friend and keeps it in his or her car for you or family.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Havent had the need for the info yet but like i said was just sitting around thinking whatif it happened.
Thanks for the info.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am also an EMT. Okie 4570 has it correct. It also somewhat depends on the pt's condition on scene. For instance, I hauled a pt who had a motorcycle crash, and I knew the person. He was extremely combative due to a brain bleed even though he knew me. He was not armed, but if he would have been I would not have contacted the pt until LEO was on scene and had secured the weapon. In a different case, a gentleman had rolled his semi. He was alert and oriented x4, but had a possible spinal injury. He had a J frame in his front pocket and told me he had his CCW when I began treating him. I continued to treat him while the firemen extracted the pt. By that time OHP had arrived and they took care of his weapon. The trooper followed us to the hospital to get more infer from the pt. I know the Trooper gave him a business card so I assume he got the weapon back.

My summation of this situation as an EMT is this:

If there is any possible chance that i could be injured, I will not approach the scene. A dead or injured medic can't exactly help anyone. I will wait until LEO has secured the scene. If the pt is alert and oriented, I will use my intuition to assure that the scene is safe.

I live in a very small town and most wrecks are either a local person or oilfield related. If they are local they most likely are friends or know one of the medics, firemen, or LEO and will hand over their firearm to one of them. If they are oilfield, most companies don't allow firearms in company vehicles.

Under no circumstances will I ever let a firearm into my ambulance unless it belongs to a LEO. If you are critically injured, my primary concern is saving your life. I will do the best I can to get your weapon to an LEO, but like I said we are in a rural area, and sometimes we are on scene, and headed to the hospital before leo ever show up. In this case, I would leave the weapon in the vehicle and notify dispatch of that situation.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good information. Probably would be a good idea to make sure that a family member, etc. is aware that you normally have a firearm on you or in your vehicle incase you are ever involved in a medical situation.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am also an EMT. Okie 4570 has it correct. It also somewhat depends on the pt's condition on scene. For instance, I hauled a pt who had a motorcycle crash, and I knew the person. He was extremely combative due to a brain bleed even though he knew me. He was not armed, but if he would have been I would not have contacted the pt until LEO was on scene and had secured the weapon. In a different case, a gentleman had rolled his semi. He was alert and oriented x4, but had a possible spinal injury. He had a J frame in his front pocket and told me he had his CCW when I began treating him. I continued to treat him while the firemen extracted the pt. By that time OHP had arrived and they took care of his weapon. The trooper followed us to the hospital to get more infer from the pt. I know the Trooper gave him a business card so I assume he got the weapon back.

My summation of this situation as an EMT is this:

If there is any possible chance that i could be injured, I will not approach the scene. A dead or injured medic can't exactly help anyone. I will wait until LEO has secured the scene. If the pt is alert and oriented, I will use my intuition to assure that the scene is safe.

I live in a very small town and most wrecks are either a local person or oilfield related. If they are local they most likely are friends or know one of the medics, firemen, or LEO and will hand over their firearm to one of them. If they are oilfield, most companies don't allow firearms in company vehicles.

Under no circumstances will I ever let a firearm into my ambulance unless it belongs to a LEO. If you are critically injured, my primary concern is saving your life. I will do the best I can to get your weapon to an LEO, but like I said we are in a rural area, and sometimes we are on scene, and headed to the hospital before leo ever show up. In this case, I would leave the weapon in the vehicle and notify dispatch of that situation.

Is that policy or just what You would do?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom