Medical Emergency and CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it is a policy of our service. I will have to check if it a state wide protocol though. Also, if you have a spinal, pelvic, or femur injury, strapping you to a back board with a holstered firearm could exacerbate the injury.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it is a policy of our service. I will have to check if it a state wide protocol though. Also, if you have a spinal, pelvic, or femur injury, strapping you to a back board with a holstered firearm could exacerbate the injury.

That's a bit of a stretch, unless you're carrying in the small of the back, honestly, but I still see the point/need of LE taking possession of the firearm. Personally, I wouldn't worry about carrying someone's firearm with me on an ambulance, although I know stupid-ass company policies are always based on fear and ignorance and catering to the lowest denominator of common sense. If it's a matter of leaving an unsecured firearm on the scene or delaying the patient's transport unnecessarily, I think I could figure out someplace to put it safely - since bad ol' guns don't make me wanna wet my pants like they do administrators.

:lmfao:

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a bit of a stretch, unless you're carrying in the small of the back, honestly, but I still see the point/need of LE taking possession of the firearm. Personally, I wouldn't worry about carrying someone's firearm with me on an ambulance, although I know stupid-ass company policies are always based on fear and ignorance and catering to the lowest denominator of common sense. If it's a matter of leaving an unsecured firearm on the scene or delaying the patient's transport unnecessarily, I think I could figure out someplace to put it safely - since bad ol' guns don't make me wanna wet my pants like they do administrators.

:lmfao:

This.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 2006 when I had a heart attack a kind person at the seen stole my gun and wallet

A friend bought a Mossberg AT-600 Police model shotgun from an individual many years ago. When he tried to resell it out of state, it showed up to be stolen from a Police car involved in a wreck in St Louis Mo.

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Under no circumstances will I ever let a firearm into my ambulance unless it belongs to a LEO. If you are critically injured, my primary concern is saving your life. I will do the best I can to get your weapon to an LEO, but like I said we are in a rural area, and sometimes we are on scene, and headed to the hospital before leo ever show up. In this case, I would leave the weapon in the vehicle and notify dispatch of that situation.

I hope that never happens to you. If I was the person injured and you did that to me and my firearm was not recovered, I would sue you personally for a replacement and other things. Your actions would be HIGHLY irresponsible.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a hard question to answer. I would say for the most part we won't touch firearms. If you're unconscious there's a chance you are getting your clothes cut off. In which case the gun would come off with them. my understanding once they get in the ambulance they don't touch it either. They have people at the hospital that will handle the firearms. If it's a car wreck, pd will be on scene. They go on scene on a lot of serious calls anyways. There's a million scenarios. But most people are going to wait for pd if possible.

And under no circumstance would I ever leave a weapon on scene. You would lose your job for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope that never happens to you. If I was the person injured and you did that to me and my firearm was not recovered, I would sue you personally for a replacement and other things. Your actions would be HIGHLY irresponsible.

This is what is wrong with world. I work for a county ambulance service as an EMT for my civic duty. I do this voluntarily, just because I want to help sick and injured people. This is not my job, it is a profession that I volunteer to do. I will do as much as possible to save your life and you want to sue me.

To ensure everyone's safety, if you have an altered mental status or are unconscious, that firearm will not be in your possession. Apparently I should clarify myself. I would never leave a firearm unsecured on scene. If it could not be locked in the trunk, glovebox, or console, it would be transported in an exterior compartment of the ambulance and given to hospital security staff per service policy if an LEO is not available they are just minutes away.

Volunteering my time away from my wife and child so I can serve my community, is a sacrifice that I willingly take. Car wrecks at 3 am, missing my disabled brothers 40th birthday party to work a cardiac code, sleepless nights because of the code you lost earlier in the day. I do this for you. I do this for my community, and I do this because someone has to. It is a very thankless job and I am ok with that. I love being an EMT. It is comments like this that are discouraging. I spend my time trying to help, and there are people out there just waiting for an excuse to sue someone. This sir or ma'am, is what is wrong with the world.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a hard question to answer. I would say for the most part we won't touch firearms. If you're unconscious there's a chance you are getting your clothes cut off. In which case the gun would come off with them. my understanding once they get in the ambulance they don't touch it either. They have people at the hospital that will handle the firearms. If it's a car wreck, pd will be on scene. They go on scene on a lot of serious calls anyways. There's a million scenarios. But most people are going to wait for pd if possible.

And under no circumstance would I ever leave a weapon unsecured on scene. You would lose your job for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"pd will be on scene"
I live in a very rural area (60miles to the nearest level 4 hospital). On most wrecks, we are on scene and gone before LEO arrive.

"But most people are going to wait for pd if possible"
Not with a critical pt.

About the firearm on scene. If we have left before LEO arrive, they are just minutes behind us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom