Meet HEAD SHOT!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HEAD SHOT is my new 45 Auto Rim / 45 acp that I just put together, and this is the most fun I have had with a rifle in a long time!

The gun is an H&R single shot that one of my customers gave me for helping him out, so I decided to put it to good use. It started out as a 270 Winchester, but since I cannot and will not shoot a factory rifle, I decided to put something together with parts that I had on hand since March of 2013. I know it was that long, because the box of dies, bullets and brass I bought from Midway still has the shipping label on it, and in fact I never even opened the box until last week!

I checked my records and see that I have 32 of these guns in Hawaii, belonging to 32 different customers that I had built nearly identical rifles for, for close range hog hunting. I had never targeted a rifle that was chambered in 45 AR, and after "finding" my box or goodies, I decided it was about time I built "me" something to have fun with, and after a couple of range sessions last week, I am soooooo glad I chose the caliber I did.

So far, I have shot nothing but 230 gr. and 250 gr. bullets through this gun, and see no need to shoot anything else. Velocity for both bullet weights is 1,100 fps., and the accuracy from both bullet weights is 5/8" or less @ 50 yards, for consistent 3-shot groups of 1/8", and my wife's first 3-shot group with this gun was 1/2", then 3/8", then 1/4" and her last 3-shots of the day was also 1/8"...

Even with the limited range of the cartridge, recoil than a 223, not near the NOISE of a high powered rifle, and it's just plain fun to shoot!

Oh yeah, this gun was named HEAD SHOT, because everything shot with it so far has been shot in the head, and when shooting deer, you either have a clean kill or a clean miss! 3 people, 3 shots in the head, and 3 dead deer. What more could you ask for?

20191208_164045.jpeg

009_zps0494a27b.jpg

036_zpsfff8d36e-1.jpg

20191209_141718-1.jpeg

20191209_141542-1.jpeg

20191208_164009.jpeg

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Wife has targets with her showing them off at work.

Nearly no recoil at all! I put multiple rings on ALL break open single shots because of the base sitting directly above the chamber, as well as the jarring the scope takes from slamming the action shut!

I thought about the 45 Winchester too, but I did not want the noise or recoil!

I just hate that I waited so long to build one of these for myself!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've also seen multiple ring mounts on you bolt action builds too. Just curious why.

Even with the Military and Law Enforcement contracts I've had over the years, every single rifle that I have built, had as many as 4 or 5 scope rings on it! I feel that the more rock solid you can lock a scope down on a gun, the better!

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even with the Military and Law Enforcement contracts I've had over the years, every single rifle that I have built, had as many as 4 or 5 scope rings on it! I feel that the more rock solid you can lock a scope down on a gun, the better!

That's interesting. The Brits, Aussie's, Canuck's, and Swedes seem to get by with the standard two ring set up on their AI's. Same with the Army's M24 and the Marines M40. Even the DMR rifles have two rings. As a matter of fact, I don't recall ever seeing a set up with more than two rings. Maybe I need to get out more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom