Memphis cops charged with murder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the political climate the way it is in the country, law enforcement agencies are having a difficult time hiring and retaining officers. As the candidate pool shrinks, so does the likelihood of getting the best people. 25 or 30 years ago you'd have 1000+ applicants for a handful of jobs. Now the agencies can't get enough applicants to meet the recruiting goals in some cities. Some departments report over 90% of applicants fail in the screening process alone.

When I separated from the AF in the 80s I applied to the Omaha police dept. I was ranked number 3 after all the testing and interviews. None of the top 10 applicants were hired. However, people as far down as the 800s on the list were hired. That was my first exposure to affirmative action. Turned out to be a blessing, though, because I got hired by a large department in Colorado and much preferred living there to Omaha.

When I started looking to be hired by a PD and leave the sheriff's dept it was extremely difficult to get hired (mid 90s). The competition was tough and departments were very selective in hiring...because they could be. I went thru the process with probably 10 different agencies and always got washed out. Sometimes up to 2000 people would apply for 4 or 5 openings. It's certainly not that way now. Ironically, I applied to the agency that had the reputation for being the hardest to get hired by. It was a very popular dept because the pay and benefits were the best in the state. For some reason I sailed thru the application process for lateral hires (experienced and certified officers) and got hired with 4 other guys. I was the one with the least amount of experience with 10 years. Go figure.

I sat on the hiring board at that dept twice after being hired. I couldn't believe some of the things that would disqualify some very good candidates...like experimenting with weed when they were in high school 20 years earlier, or a 10 year old traffic ticket.
You speakum truth. I was number 6 on a Kansas Bureau of Investigation and it was 300 applicants for 1 opening in Garden City (yech) 1986
A Fort Worth deputy chief tried to get me an eyesight waiver because I was the highest score out of 245.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they're proven guilty they should be held accountable just like anyone else, and they probably will. Kinda sounds like the department and prosecutor want to make examples outta these guys. And they're facing life in prison if convicted.

The thing I find so f'd up about all this (aside from the beating of the homeless guy) is these guys could do life. And that's OK if they're found guilty. But I was just reading another story out of Florida today about a couple of convicted felons (multiple violent felony convictions) with 80-something felony arrests between them that were arrested near Miami for kidnapping a delivery driver at gunpoint and robbing him.

80-something felony arrests, multiple felony convictions, more serious felony charges...and they're out on the street.

We do not have a fair and equitable system of justice. I don't have a problem prosecuting anyone for their crimes but it should be done equitably.
Aren't you a former LEO? I mean, if so I'd kind of assume you are 100% aware we have no JUSTICE system. We have a LEGAL system. Those are very very very different things.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heard a radio news report about the Memphis PD cops, said they were part of a street crimes unit called the “Scorpions”. Haven’t heard anything about Tyre Nichols’ behaviour, actions, reactions, level of compliance to officers commands, weapons wielded, brandished, used, threatened.??

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aren't you a former LEO? I mean, if so I'd kind of assume you are 100% aware we have no JUSTICE system. We have a LEGAL system. Those are very very very different things.

No need for word games...pretty sure everyone knows what I mean.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I applied and went through the interview process with the LAPD when I was 20ish back in ‘88. Aced my written exam and scored a 97% on my oral exam which didn’t get me there, I needed a 99% because I was a white male. Now if I were black or Hispanic I’d be a retired cop right now. BTW they only needed a score of 78% to be accepted. 🤬

I‘m starting to have the feeling that while I have always and will continue to be a supporter of law enforcement I think there are more cops out there that shouldn’t be then I would have thought. IMO there’s nothing wrong with giving a criminal a “tuneup” if they make you chase’m but beating someone to death? No excuse or justification. Also I completely agree and shout it at the TV every time this comes up, that being that if the idiot perp hadn’t run away/resisted arrest this would have all been avoided. Guaranteed he’d be alive today BUT an arse whoppin’ that ends in his death is completely unacceptable. I’ll wait for the vid to pass any judgement but from the things being reported, my suspicions are they are in deep doo-doo.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems the 6 p.m. video is all the early activists are waiting upon to get their new 4K TV's?

Why is there an activist presence when the city police fired the officers and have essentially thrown all of them under the bus admitting the wrongdoings? Isn't the activist presence the means to get the city and others to admit a wrong has been done?

If that is the case, the activists are superfluous and not necessary. Now that their agenda has been taken care of, if they participate in any criminal activity, I would have an agreement with the prosecutors before any action is taken to light em up, kick ass and take names. Cuff N Stuff when extreme cases of the ass are showing.

This will also curtail any future stupid in a no-stupid zone actions.

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GET YOUR POPCORN READY FOR THE PEACEFUL PROTEST
IMG_0988.GIF

Latest posts

Top Bottom