Met SPDguns today and gave him a revolver to fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a nice guy. Never knew I was short but after meeting him......I'm short. Very cool guy with a very nice setup. I'm grateful he agreed to work on my gun. This guy knows his stuff. He can be as busy as he wants to be. While I was there someone else came in looking for his service. Nice to know a smith you can trust.
Thanks to everyone that suggested him.
I got to go visit my best friend and get my old gun fixed. The gun has no real value other than me. Bought it new in the late 70's and it shoots great. Plus it feels like a gun.

Thanks SPD

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the old Taurus revolvers were, I did not have an old Rossi. My father did at one time but I do not know much about it.
Those old guns, that were considered of lower value, were made better than the guns of today, in many ways. The iron/steel/ss is better quality as is the workmanship.
I'm trying to remember what it cost me new, but I bought a pair of matching models one in SS that I gave to a witch...I mean girl I was dating and kept the blue. I think it was $75.00 for one and bought the pair of 140 out the door....no tax..no ffl fee.
I carried it a lot and shot it well. Still love the feel of it. Small grip but fits the palm of my hand like a glove. I have a leather holster for it but might have a buddy of mine make a cross draw shoulder holster with some nice stamp/stitching work. I'll reblue it myself. The wood grips are perfect.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old Taurus and Rossi revolvers used to be up to par with Smith didn’t they?
That will get you in a bar fight. Ha. Then, as it is now, a lot is put in the name and not the product. But in a revolver, and in my opinion from that era, the mechanics are the same. I've see just as many SW break down as Rossi's maybe even more because everyone watched Dirty Harry and had to have a hand cannon. If the milling is right and if a smith takes care of the timing/tuning not much is different. Even the cylinder advance arms are the same as are the springs etc. Some are made in the same plant just rebranded.
IMO, all guns are almost the same after the bullet clears the crown. The shooter is either good or not good. The gun is not doing anything but providing a tube, firing mechanism and a proper pressure chamber/rifling. A 4" barrel or less, is not going to be slicing cards at 50 yards. It may hit the dealer on the third shot.
I think my guy will have my revolver doing all it did when it was new. Probably better. I'll appreciate it and love shooting it again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom