Metal Detecting - today was a good day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a neighbor to my east who sold his house to a flipper. The flipper gave me permission to metal detect the property but just as he did so he piled branches up all over it and had cars and trucks parked on the grass every day.

The city finally got the wood and he finally finished his remodeling so today I finally got to detect the back yard and front yard leaving the side yard for tomorrow.

The back yard yielded the two quarters at about 4 inches and a few pennies and a dime.
The rest in the photo was found in the front yard along with the heart stopper. It says U.S.STERLING inside the band but probably glass except for the top one. It is clearer and sharper faceted than the others. Might be a CZ. I'll find out next week.

3-6-21 1.jpg
3-6-21 2.jpg
3-6-21 3.jpg
3-6-21 4.jpg
3-6-21 5.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great find!
Wish we had a Metal Detector would be an interesting hobby. Wife lost her wedding ring in a gravel parking lot in Alice Tx at a Wataburger in December.
She was putting on hand lotion, put them in her lap and then forgot to put them on as we were pulling in. She got out with the cheap ring she wore on the other hand getting trapped at the door jamb but an intense search turned up nothing. The ring has to be in the gravel parking lot that runs alongside the store for big rigs unless someone found it. It's insured so we will get the monetary value back but the sentimental value will never be replaced.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's awesome. I love my Garrett AT Pro. Hven't been out in a couple years. Maybe once we move and get settled we can have a metal detecting play-date. My wife thinks i nerd-out when i do it.

I tried a Garrett but couldn't get used to the delayed ding when it went over a coin. That was not an AT Pro, it was something else. I have an old Whites XLT. I love it because I have an understanding of the programming and can customize it to the conditions at hand. I can turn off transmit boost and get next to metal playground equipment and snipe old coins. I even have a program for open fields I call BERZERK! It goes deep! I have found wheaties at 12 inches.

I have a perfect place to go. It is a historical site on a minor highway, Route 66. People used to throw coins at the site and the guy that took care of it kept hitting the coins with his mower causing damage to cars. He got our club to help him collect them.
We gave half to the guy and kept half. Five of us were working the grounds and two were working the ditch. After 2 hours I stopped digging pennies and dimes and just concentrated on quarters. I had jeans on and had filled one front pocket and was working on the second one when we finally quit because we lost the light.

I have been back a few times on my own to help find more coins to donate to the site. I haven't been there for five years now. The coins might have accumulated or they might have stopped throwing them. There was a big tree but it was gone five years ago. I still found over $20 in coins to give them. It was a blast!

Here is a pic of a Spanish Reale I found in my home town in Oklahoma where a sidewalk used to be.
2 reale.JPG

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great find!
Wish we had a Metal Detector would be an interesting hobby. Wife lost her wedding ring in a gravel parking lot in Alice Tx at a Wataburger in December.
She was putting on hand lotion, put them in her lap and then forgot to put them on as we were pulling in. She got out with the cheap ring she wore on the other hand getting trapped at the door jamb but an intense search turned up nothing. The ring has to be in the gravel parking lot that runs alongside the store for big rigs unless someone found it. It's insured so we will get the monetary value back but the sentimental value will never be replaced.

I can loan you an older machine that will find it if you get it over the target. I can teach you how to use it really fast. It is just sitting in the closet in it's bag. I keep it around for friends that want to go out and hunt with me.

Please keep in mind God has played a trick on all us metal detectorists. Gold and nickels identify the same as an aluminum pull tab, pop can tab and aluminum foil. You might be digging a lot of targets. I do and that's is how I find the gold rings.

That's why they call it treasure hunting instead of treasure finding.

Last edited:

Jcelt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to post a question but this looks like a good place to ask. I am looking at a entry level detector. I have never detected but interested in it. I have narrowed it down to a Garrett Pro 300 or a Nakto Makro Simplex based on the research I’ve done. Does anyone use either of these? Am I on the right track? Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom