Metal Detecting - today was a good day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve dabbled with MD as well. The biggest problem I’ve run into is finding property / landowner contact information to gain permission, especially abandoned places. I’ve typically stayed with public spaces like beaches at the lake during winter time. I did find a nice cache of 4 pennies and a nickel buried next to the wood fence at a lake bathroom. I figured some kid buried money while waiting on mom [emoji3]

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to head for the clotheslines. Women hanging out pants sometimes would have coins in the pockets and the wind flapping the clothes would cause coins to fall to the ground.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to post a question but this looks like a good place to ask. I am looking at a entry level detector. I have never detected but interested in it. I have narrowed it down to a Garrett Pro 300 or a Nakto Makro Simplex based on the research I’ve done. Does anyone use either of these? Am I on the right track? Thanks.
Sir, I would love to be able to tell you what you want to know but I stopped buying and looking at detectors when I bought my machine in 2005. I like it because it has features I can tweak in the programming. It took me over a year to read books about detecting, and with my detector in particular, and a lot of adjusting and trying other people's programs. So, this, is my answer.
If you want to be able to turn it on and go with preset programs, get one of those. If you really want to get into the hobby, get a machine that will allow you to adjust it's features and you will enjoy it much more because now you have the knowledge of what your machine is actually saying to you.

My XLT is old but it has a lot of features I could not do without on another machine. It has different pitched sounds for different metals. A penny sounds waaaay different from a quarter and you can tell a silver quarter from a clad just by the sound. I have heard a dollar sound a few times and about 80% of the time it's a clad or silver dollar. One time it was four quarters in the same hole! Ha. It has a pinpoint feature again with sound that gets higher pitched the closer you get to the target while at the same time showing you it's approximate depth.

It even has a "learn mode" where you can present a like item such as an earring and shut off all other metals and just look for that item. I have found a lot of people's lost stuff for them with this.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to head for the clotheslines. Women hanging out pants sometimes would have coins in the pockets and the wind flapping the clothes would cause coins to fall to the ground.
The path to the old outhouse was a great location too. Even the floor under the outhouse if it is gone. If you have an old house find a really old tree or fence post you can see from the bedroom. Usually people didn't use banks but Mason jars and tobacco tins were plentiful.

BlackRifle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been detecting since 1985. Have 2 machines. Tesero Silver Sabre,and Tesero Cibola. I think I may have to get a new one in the future since Tesoro went out of business. Mostly, I'm a coin shooter.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had 2 different detectors. I have found some silver coins, but mainly pop top cans around T-Bird and Eufaula. Haven't used them in years and my granddaughters want them now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom