Metallurgist’s Question Please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I push through my rifle bores and then remove the brush and pull the rod out.
Any abrasive that would possibly collect on the rod has already been pushed against the bore with my paper patched bore brush.

My cleaning rods do not fit tight in the bore and I do not feel they will wear the bore out any more than shooting a case with dried carbon in it.

I do have one of those cleaning rods that was posted and it is steel and the coating is black paint and it does wear off.

I wipe my rod clean after I pull it out of the hole Just an FYI :)

If ya want to make the old lady mad wipe it off on the curtains.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to frequent a gunshop where the owner said "more 22 rifles been wore out more from cleaning than from shooting!"

😁
You know what, I tend to believe that! Before I started learning this hobby, about 3 years ago, I hunted my whole life, and I cleaned my rifles and shotguns constantly, more out of relaxation than need. When I started learning this hobby, I’ve still found that, as I said about opinions earlier, you find just as many (reputable people too) who say not to clean your barrels, as you find to the other extreme, saying cleaning it, “the more often the better”. I’ve even found these opinions being the same mix in gunsmiths. So since I still (and will until I gain confidence) think of myself as a noob/novice. That’s why I ask so many questions on here, you can’t learn if you don’t get advice right?

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know what, I tend to believe that! Before I started learning this hobby, about 3 years ago, I hunted my whole life, and I cleaned my rifles and shotguns constantly, more out of relaxation than need. When I started learning this hobby, I’ve still found that, as I said about opinions earlier, you find just as many (reputable people too) who say not to clean your barrels, as you find to the other extreme, saying cleaning it, “the more often the better”. I’ve even found these opinions being the same mix in gunsmiths. So since I still (and will until I gain confidence) think of myself as a noob/novice. That’s why I ask so many questions on here, you can’t learn if you don’t get advice right?
👍

I mainly focus on rust prevention!

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think most people are concerned about the potential for the rod to damage the crown or chamber throat than damage to the bore.

I was listening to someone with a lot of experience with many high round count 1911s talk about how many of the barrels had almost no rifling except for the last inch or so, he said those guns still shot acceptably well given all they had been through.

Latest posts

Top Bottom