Metallurgist admits faking steel-test results for Navy subs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
just wait until you learn that basically all forensics is pseudoscience and the vast majority of "testing" doesn't mean jack because of corruption and/or incompetence.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Somewhat related story, at least about graft in the military and shoddy inspections! The Sultana was the river boat that exploded just north of Memphis Tenn. in 1865, killing literally hundreds of ex Union POW's, mostly from Andersonville POW camp. This river boat was overloaded by 3 or 4 times it's rated capacity, plus it had a faulty boiler that had only been patched, so the owner of this boat wouldn't miss out on this lucritive load. The government payed so much a head for transpoting these POW's, and the Union Officer in charge of arranging transportation, was bribed to put all of them on the Sultana, with several other river boats available. There is a photo of the Sultana at Helena Ark. taken shortly before it exploded, just a few miles north of Memphis, and there is standing room only on all the decks. To add to the danger the Mississippi was running at flood stage, a reported 7 miles wde at the point where the Sultana expoloded, which made the Sultana have to work harder to overcome the current! I guess corruption is nothing new in the military, but in this case it cost the lives of hundreds, or thousands, 3000 comes to my old feeble mind, men that thought they had survived the HELL of WAR and Andersonville, and were on their way home! Sad story!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Somewhat related story, at least about graft in the military and shoddy inspections! The Sultana was the river boat that exploded just north of Memphis Tenn. in 1865, killing literally hundreds of ex Union POW's, mostly from Andersonville POW camp. This river boat was overloaded by 3 or 4 times it's rated capacity, plus it had a faulty boiler that had only been patched, so the owner of this boat wouldn't miss out on this lucritive load. The government payed so much a head for transpoting these POW's, and the Union Officer in charge of arranging transportation, was bribed to put all of them on the Sultana, with several other river boats available. There is a photo of the Sultana at Helena Ark. taken shortly before it exploded, just a few miles north of Memphis, and there is standing room only on all the decks. To add to the danger the Mississippi was running at flood stage, a reported 7 miles wde at the point where the Sultana expoloded, which made the Sultana have to work harder to overcome the current! I guess corruption is nothing new in the military, but in this case it cost the lives of hundreds, or thousands, 3000 comes to my old feeble mind, men that thought they had survived the HELL of WAR and Andersonville, and were on their way home! Sad story!

Sultana was a commercial side-wheel steamboat which exploded and sank on the Mississippi River on April 27, 1865, killing 1,168 people in what remains the worst maritime disaster in United States history.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just wait until you learn that basically all forensics is pseudoscience and the vast majority of "testing" doesn't mean jack because of corruption and/or incompetence.
May be true. but the point is to do what you are ask to do and paid to do. no matter what you think of it. someone thought it mattered or they wouldn't have contracted it . (no offence meant)

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sultana was a commercial side-wheel steamboat which exploded and sank on the Mississippi River on April 27, 1865, killing 1,168 people in what remains the worst maritime disaster in United States history.
Thanks, Not sure where the 3000 came from, but 1168 is correct, I guess I should have looked it up? I was telling a story a few days ago, and ask my wife where we heard this story. She replied, we didn't hear it, you just made it up! I find it harder and harder to tell the differenve! But I do tell good stories! Kinda like the nens media!

CoolShi7Designer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The folks in those subs at depth will be terrified when they get back from a deployment and see they might have experienced a hull failure because of willful neglect.
How can something so critical be given to one person without second party authentication?🤬🤬
Sounds like another Joyce Gilchrist/Bob Macy situation. 🤬🤬
Unfortunately, every shop and firm I've ever worked for (and I assume it's true across most if business in general) there is always one office queen/king who approves everyone else's work but doesn't themselves need approval. If that person breaks bad, the amount of damage really has no upper limit depending on the industry. Why, you might give the army pistols that fire when you drop them, or have your condo building in Miami fall down. Like I said, I spend my days doing my damndest to make sure our men have safe functional military aircraft and it's a huge pain in the a$$ to fully comply with every spec. But I know that the military doesn't add **** unless someone died for not having it and they don't add expensive time consuming processes to parts that haven't failed being made more simply. Despite the huge appropriation numbers we see, our military are actually incredible cheap skates in the most bureaucratically expensive way possible.
That's a long tangent.
The point is, the spec says the shi7 it says for a reason and cutting corners can and does get people killed. I'm glad she got caught and I hope they catch anyone else cheating too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom