MetCalf Gun Show Sept. 10-11

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blakew

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trish and jerry have been working for metcalf for years. I cant reemember exactly but Trish (pretty little brunette) is related to W. Metcalf. I know for a fact when ordering tables if you tell them your selling ammo they will place you at the back of the building as far away from the metcalf ammo tables....!! BS....!! also they have 6ft tables when everyone else has 8ft tables... It adds up man...

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is it worth going to this gun show or should I just wait for the Wanenmacher Gun Show? Anyone know the entry fee? Is it at the expo?

I cant speak for the Wanenmacher as I have never been but I try to avoid gun shows except in certain occasions. They are usually filled with vendors selling guns for high prices to non gun people who dont know the current asking price. I will say I have gotten some deals over the years from older guys selling their personal collections. Even bought a few surplus guns in 2009 but I dont see as much surplus anymore and trading with other guests is frowned upon so its hard to get good deals anymore. I have bought from FFLs having sales at gun shows so maybe my previous statement wasnt exactly true but it isnt the rule. Not to mention there is just a bunch of crap at gun shows and people pointing guns at me all day and vendors just being rude and on top of that they dont know what they are talking about. The average OSA member knows more about guns than some of these people... I agree with @tRidiot stay way from metcalf and a handful of others. All that being said I still want to make the drive up to Tulsa to see the Wanenmacher. Ive heard there are some great historical pieces people travel around with that arent for sale just for viewing which interests me. I have also heard it is the closest thing to and old school gun show you can get to, today. People are actually willing to deal with you on the price depending on the table.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I think it was Metcalf who had a gun show here in McAlester this spring. Found a new in case Springfield XD9 Subcompact cheaper than I could find anywhere else or online. What did amaze me was how much buying and selling went on outside the Expo when people coming in to sell guns were approached by the folks hanging around outside both when they first came in and when they left. I didn't think that would be allowed.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I hope Trish and Jerry have modified the business practices of the old Metcalf shows. Vendors were pressured to keep prices high or risk being thrown out. Essentially the shows were run like a cartel operation with free trade/dealing discouraged in favor of ensuring that prices were kept high on average - didn't apply to private collections as much but was the rule for gun and ammo dealers. Such practices might benefit a few dealers but as a buyer I want and expect sellers to compete on price & value...bottom dollar isn't everything but all other things being equal it is a tiebreaker.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant speak for the Wanenmacher as I have never been but I try to avoid gun shows except in certain occasions. They are usually filled with vendors selling guns for high prices to non gun people who dont know the current asking price. I will say I have gotten some deals over the years from older guys selling their personal collections. Even bought a few surplus guns in 2009 but I dont see as much surplus anymore and trading with other guests is frowned upon so its hard to get good deals anymore. I have bought from FFLs having sales at gun shows so maybe my previous statement wasnt exactly true but it isnt the rule. Not to mention there is just a bunch of crap at gun shows and people pointing guns at me all day and vendors just being rude and on top of that they dont know what they are talking about. The average OSA member knows more about guns than some of these people... I agree with @tRidiot stay way from metcalf and a handful of others. All that being said I still want to make the drive up to Tulsa to see the Wanenmacher. Ive heard there are some great historical pieces people travel around with that arent for sale just for viewing which interests me. I have also heard it is the closest thing to and old school gun show you can get to, today. People are actually willing to deal with you on the price depending on the table.

The last one I went to last year in the Fall if you liked classic firearms had a lot, I am unfortunately not a collector nor knowledgeable in classic firearms. However, my experience was that everyone was very nice and I went on a Sunday so many vendors were willing to negotiate prices, I found some Federal HST 147 +P ammo for like $25 and I should have went crazy and bought all of the boxes but unfortunately my wife said to buy and try 1 box. Also found a G19 plus 3 mags for like $500 and negotiated it to $490 otd but not enough funds on me that day ( I was a gun noob at the time) now I know what to keep my eye out for. It just kinds of stinks because the presidential elections are coming up and I am afraid prices on AR 15's, LPK's, and high cap mags, are going to sky rocket.

Latest posts

Top Bottom