Mexico paying for the wall?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It might still happen.
Tennessee is pushing a bill that will levy a tax on money sent by wire to Mexico. As we all know, illegals and others on green cards send billions of dollars annually across the border.
Tennessee is proposing to use the tax to fund the wall. They aren't alone. Montana, Arizona, and West Virginia are also proposing this legislative action.

Countries Receiving The Most Remittance Dollars From the U.S. in 2015
The World Bank estimates more than $133 billion in remittances were sent from the U.S. in 2015. A proposed remittance tax would apply to countries in Latin America and the Caribbean (in dark green) as a way to fund a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico.
0$5B$10B$15B$20B$25B$24.32 billion$16.25 billion$10.96 billion$9.68 billion$7.45 billion$5.98 billion$5.67 billion$3.98 billion$3.83 billion$3.26 billion$2.94 billion$2.52 billion$2.15 billion$1.67 billion$1.56 billion
  • Mexico
  • China
  • India
  • Philippines
  • Vietnam
  • Guatemala
  • Nigeria
  • El Salvador
  • Dominican Republic
  • Honduras
  • South Korea
  • Germany
  • France
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
Source: The World Bank and Pew Research Center

Credit: Brittany Mayes/NPR

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on what day of the week about what it's going to be called. Trump has gone back to calling it a wall after trying to be PC calling it a barrier prior to the shutdown. It's back to a wall, no matter how its constructed.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if the states have the authority to do that. That's getting awfully close to interstate and international commerce, which are the domain of fed.gov.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if the states have the authority to do that. That's getting awfully close to interstate and international commerce, which are the domain of fed.gov.
I'm not versed on that, but I know a common taxpayer can donate any of their tax return back to the government if they wish.
If the states can do the same, I don't know.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's just hope those Mexicans don't discover snail mail.

I doubt that will be an issue unless they want to fund the postal workers down there. I can almost guarantee that cash won't make it and a check or money order probably will not either. I doubt forgery on an item sent form the US will be high on the local cops to do list.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt that will be an issue unless they want to fund the postal workers down there. I can almost guarantee that cash won't make it and a check or money order probably will not either. I doubt forgery on an item sent form the US will be high on the local cops to do list.
The cartel's have long fingers and love cash.

Latest posts

Top Bottom